Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Marko's Flortis is the winner (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=22161)

FILMNET April 4, 2012 10:00 AM

Marko's Flortis is the winner

2 Attachment(s)
To Germinate on my tomato's!!!!! Nice

Mandy97 April 5, 2012 09:42 PM

That variety was the first to germinate for me as well. :D

carolyn137 April 6, 2012 12:16 AM

I think it might be very confusing to have more than one name for a single variety.

And this was disussed in earlier threads about this variety.

Marko got the seeds from the italian seed company Flortis so I don't think we'd want a variety named for a seed company/

Alex got the same seeds from a different seed company and got them as Nano Ciliega as was posted by Alex in one of the threads about this variety.

I hope we can all agree on the name of this variety so there's no confusion.

As for me, as I told Marko, I missplaced my seeds he sent me, so was so happy when I traded seeds with Alex and one that he sent was Nano Ciliega, sold by that name by a different seed company.
I'm calling mine Nano Ciliega.:)

And I am very eager to see how they perform and taste.:yes:

Simone April 6, 2012 04:59 AM

Hello,
Marko was so generous and has sent me some Flortis Cherry seeds. They germinated very, very well and i kept 3 (of 4), two for my greenhouses and one i will keep without protection; so i can see how the Flortis will take the German weather...

At the moment i can not really say where exactly the three plants are, cause they are "lost" in the green chaos of over 400 plants!!!
But they must do well cause otherwise i would have recognized when one plant is doing not so well...

Simone

FILMNET April 6, 2012 09:59 AM

Named changed to Nano Ciliega

Father'sDaughter April 6, 2012 04:01 PM

So what should I be calling my Ciliega from the Franchi seed company? They look very much like the photo posted in the other thread about the Flortis, and Franchi only identifies them as "Ciliega." they no longer seem to be available on any of the sites that sell Franchi seeds, but I still have the pack I bought back in December of 2010.

mcsee April 6, 2012 07:12 PM

Ciliega = Cherry & Nano = Dwarf

Do we need another dwarf, because different nationalities see nano as dwarf.

But I'm happy to call them Nano Ciliega. :yes:

DiggingDogFarm April 6, 2012 08:20 PM

How are you so sure that the cultivar shared by Marko is the same as Nano Ciliega?
I believe that the correct Italian word for cherry is Ciliegia.
Nano Ciliegia are rather generic terms.

~Martin

DiggingDogFarm April 7, 2012 07:20 AM

I think it should be up to Marko to name this variety if he so chooses.
He's the one who introduced it here and generously sent seeds to dozens of people, myself included. Regardless, I won't be calling mine Nano Ciliega (sic).

[QUOTE=carolyn137;266585]Marko got the seeds from the italian seed company Flortis so I don't think we'd want a variety named for a seed company.[/QUOTE]

From the original thread.....

[QUOTE=Marko;223730]I'm not yet thinking of renaiming it, but if I do then it will be Flortis Cherry. [/QUOTE]

~Martin :)

Marko April 7, 2012 11:37 AM

Carolyn, you suggested the name Flortis Cherry :twisted::
[QUOTE=carolyn137;223558]Marko, I looked at the name on the seed pack and was going to suggest that you name the variety Flortis Cherry.;)[/QUOTE]

We can change the name, but I think we already left the spirit out of the bottle.

DiggingDogFarm April 7, 2012 11:52 AM

Please don't change the name!!

I'll be calling it Flortis Cherry!

Thanks again for the seeds!

Iva April 7, 2012 02:27 PM

I also have it written down as Floris Cherry and do not intend to change the name it was given to me under. There are many Italian varieties simply called Ciliega and not all are the same variety. So it would be wrong to assume that Nano Ciliega and Marko's Ciliega from Flortis are one and the same.
I've grown many of them, none of them were worth keeping so far. I have high hopes fr this one...

DiggingDogFarm April 7, 2012 02:32 PM

[QUOTE=Iva;266904]I also have it written down as Floris Cherry and do not intend to change the name it was given to me under. There are many Italian varieties simply called Ciliega and not all are the same variety. So it would be wrong to assume that Nano Ciliega and Marko's Ciliega from Flortis are one and the same.
I've grown many of them, none of them were worth keeping so far. I have high hopes fr this one...[/QUOTE]

I've had the same experience Iva.
I've grown several Italian varieties labeled ciliegia or ciliegino sent to me by friends in Italy.
None of them have been exactly the same or worthy of special mention.

I can't wait to grow this one out.

~Martin

carolyn137 April 7, 2012 06:05 PM

[QUOTE=Marko;266868]Carolyn, you suggested the name Flortis Cherry :twisted::

We can change the name, but I think we already left the spirit out of the bottle.[/QUOTE]

HEre's the original thread Marko and yes I did suggest calling it Flortis Cherry but that was before Alex posted right after that that he got seeds for Nano Ciliega from a different seed company and now someone here just asked about seeds for this from Franchi.

[URL]http://www.amseed.com/pdfs/DiseaseGuide-BCT-English.pdf[/URL]

Then I went to Tania's site and no listing for Ciliega, but a listing for Nano Ciliega:

[URL]http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Nano_Ciliegia[/URL]

And then I started thinking since there are at least several seed companies that offer seed for this variety, I wondered why it should be called Flortis, the name of a seed company that Marko got his seeds from and not Franchi or the seed company that Alex mentioned as to his source.

Look, I don't want to create problems here at all, I just question naming a variety after the name of a seed company when there are more than one seed company offering the variety.

To me it's kind of like the variety known as Large Red Cherry which has been sold by many places in the past and not all listed at Tania's site b/c the history of Large Red Cherry is a long one indeed;

[URL]http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Red_Cherry_Large[/URL]

So I will continue to refer to it as Nano Ciliega which is the alternative spelling that Tania gives for Ciliegia.

Iva, I found your comments interesting and why do you think that the Ciliega's that you've grown can be so different and did you purchase the seed from different Italian companies?

DiggingDogFarm April 7, 2012 06:20 PM

Carolyn,

I'm totally confused!!!

This seems to fly in the face of some of the points you've made in your Pretty Please????? thread.

It makes sense that you would call the variety you got from Alex, Nano Ciliegia, it does not makes sense to me to assume that Nano Ciliegia (Dwarf Cherry) and Ciliegia (Cherry) offered by Marko are the same variety.....based on the fact that they came from different seed companies, have different generic names, along with some of the points made above.
Nobody has grown the two to compare, Alex said that he hasn't even grown the variety himself, yet.

I got seeds from Marko last July from the original packet, I'd be happy to send you a couple plants (if all goes well) so that you can compare the two before this becomes another naming disaster!

I think it prudent to err on the side of caution and not make assumptions.