View Single Post
Old June 3, 2010   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Ah, Taps. Jim Garvey is a Pennsylvania tomato enthusiast - I met him while at a few heirloom tomato demos I did at the Phila. Hort. Society Harvest shows in the late 1980s. Jim and I traded seeds over the years - he also did some crossing/selecting, so he released one called Plumsteak, Garvey's Beefsteak, and Garvey's Plum. He also gave me a variety that he called Tap or Taps - it was a mix of PL and RL large pink fruited, with good flavor. I actually spent a few years saving seed from just RL and just PL, and I got it to be consistent. So in my mind, it is not a variety that flips leaf shapes, but is one that was probably not fully stabilized or pure. It is a good variety, actually!
You were doing those Hort shows in the early 90's too my friend b'c well I remember that one year you were signed up to participate and didn't have good fruits to exhibit b/c yours were over the hill, so I ended up sending you about 80 pounds of fruits.

And you're telling me you can't remember that?

They were sent in those large heavy yellow boxes that I used to get citrus from, from that place in TX.