View Single Post
Old April 8, 2012   #20
Iva
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Iva, I found your comments interesting and why do you think that the Ciliega's that you've grown can be so different and did you purchase the seed from different Italian companies?
I often go to Italy as it is a neighbor country to Slovenia. Whenever I go there, I don't miss a chance to visit one of their garden centers and buy seeds. We don't have such variation of seeds at home.
And as it is normal for a Tomato lover to buy tomato seeds, I always bought all varieties I could get my hands on to grow them out. That was before I started trading across the pond and knowing there are m ore than just red tomatoes in existence...

Well, there were many cherry tomatoes sold by different seed companies and named either Ciliega or Ciliegia, just a different spelling for the same thing - a cherry tomato.

Tried many of them and all were slightly different in color, size texture and taste. None were all that good.

That is why I said you can't just put them all 'in the same basket' and say they should all be named just Ciliegia or similar. Because they were all very different.

I think it is similar to the story of Cuor di Bue or Cuore de Buof (I didn't bother to spell this right just now, sorry, but you know what I mean) and such, where all are a translation of the same thing, but some are the same and some are very different. That is just my two cents...

As for it being 'named' after a seed company, I don't mind that, the name sounds really nice, Flortis can be translated into Floral or Flower and that is really a nice name for a tomato, but it is up to Marko to decide what the name should be...
Iva is offline   Reply With Quote