View Single Post
Old March 23, 2014   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgrow View Post
I noticed I'm not the only one with poorer germination results with Dixie Wine, 1884 Purple.

Disappointed with Sam's Sweet Ozark Orange only 25% germination rate. I will definitely save the seeds and try next season.
Paul, there were about 90 folks who participated,most with the max 6 varieties requested, and only a few who have posted, so far so I think it's much too early to make any conclusions right now.

There are a few I know who expect to start seeds for fall but they are few in number.

Sam has been offering SOO at another message site and almost everyone is getting lovely rates of germination with the same seeds. I think some at Tville, where he made his offer in the trade subforum are also doing well. Right now I just can't remember, nor have time to go check.

As I said in tht first post, every year there are some who get poor germination with a variety and some who get excellent results with the same seeds. That used to bother me, but with passing years of seed offers its become the norm. Just too many variables associated with starting seeds and the different ways that folks do it. And all seeds I listed were no older than 2011 produced seeds, maybe two varieties sent by others that were 2010 seeds.

Carolyn