Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old 6 Days Ago   #1
cassiani
Tomatovillian™

Default fightning bacterial canker

A grower's nightmare, along with late and fire blight, that can dissimate your crop if left as is. Already been pruning a few branches but it is still affecting nearby plants. Most will suggest to cull affected plant ASAP, but these plants are precious. My father had some rare heirloom varieties from Italia but lost is stash of seeds and I am pheno hunting for him with a blend of every tomato seeds he could find in his house.

I can't really afford to scrap plants as they grow. Goal is to bring much of them possible to yield healthy fruits for seeds preservation. I will attempt to controll disease by spraying high and low pH water. According to FDA, high pH variations will break bacteria cells walls and greatly reduce their spreads.

Started this morning with baking soda at 1tbs per qt, I know this recipe is proven and effective for bacterial spots. Also dipped a branch in lowered pH (4.5) water by using horticultural pH down made from phosphoric acid. I think 4.5 is a good place to start as neutrophilic bacteria should die under the 5 mark, and at the same time 5 is a common standard for hydroponic culture so it should not be a problem for plant tissues.

plants are on 3 different sites,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3473.jpg (239.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3478.jpg (279.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3475.jpg (288.2 KB, 17 views)
cassiani is offline   Reply With Quote