Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 14, 2011   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Tasting Etiquette!!

All tomatoes taste more or less one of three ways to me, sour/tart, sweet and bland.
After all of the different tomatoes you guys try I never here of anyone cleansing their pallet.

In wine it is bread and you spit the wine out you never drink it.
Coffee you suck the fluid in and try to vaporize/atomize the liquid.

What would one do with a a tomato?
At the SETTFEST event I saw folks running around tasting this tomato and that tomato with no regard to a clean pallet between them.

I think we need to set up some tomato snob rules for tasting at these events so we can weed out the commoners from the more sophisticated of the crowd.

In this way we have yet another tool so we can pick who we converse with and more importantly who our children play with.

I would never let a child of mine associate with another child that was brought up on store bought tomatoes, much less one that didn't know how the taste one.

Lets have a go at it and see what we can come up with.
It is due time we did this.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011   #2
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

At Tomatopalooza[tm] we've used cucumber slices as palette cleansers.

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011   #3
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

You could easily get rid of that tomato taste in your mouth by using a store bought tomato.
Old July 14, 2011   #4
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Do we have to eat them with our pinkies extended?
Old July 14, 2011   #5
kath
Tomatovillian™

I think I notice a wider range of tastes than the ones you mention, Worth, but it would be hard for me to describe them...maybe later in the season after I'm (hopefully) able to taste more than the 4 varieties that have ripened so far. Taste is important, but texture is also a big part of the tomato experience for me. Mushy is a deal breaker, thick skins are never good unless they can be peeled off easily while the fruit is still raw, seeds that are too big or too plentiful are also not acceptable,...

Well, as you can see I'm crazy fussy so my tomato tastings take place in private, at the kitchen sink with a glass of water next to me. Yes, there's a lot of spitting involved. I always just use water as a palate cleanser unless the taste is particularly nasty or lingering, and then I'll just have a bit of a favorite, like Sungold or whatever other fave is ripe at the time. (Perhaps I've just relegated myself to "commoner" status!) Cucumbers sound like a good idea, though, as long as it's not a bitter variety because then I'd just need more water...and sorry, Mudman, but store tomatoes just defeat the purpose. Anyway, when testing different fruits that are first deemed at least "ok", I keep retasting them against the available faves until the winner(s) can be determined and ranked in order.

So the only way I could attend a public tasting event is if the etiquette allowed spitting in a cup or something like a personal spittoon; also grimacing should be ok, as well as sticking out one's tongue and eating with fingers, not forks. Since children love spitting, making faces and eating with their hands, it makes sense to allow those things. It seems to me that at the very least bottles of spring water, bread, bacon and mayo, a variety of salts and vinaigrettes should be available for those who need any of those to determine what's the best tomato for them...and maybe some kind of dip for the children- they love to dip things while eating things with their hands. I think it's important for the etiquette to permit easy training of the children in the art of proper tomato tasting, so I'd vote for extended pinkies being optional. Maybe my whole outlook isn't snobby enough but that's my two cents.

Last edited by kath; July 14, 2011 at 03:26 PM.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011   #6
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

I don't care if it clears the palate or not- I'm with Kath, a slice of bacon after every tomato.

Last edited by Mudman; July 16, 2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: to conform to the spelling snobbery rules of etiquette.
Mudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011   #7
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
......a slice of bacon after every tomato.

And with every tomato! LOL

~Dig
Old July 14, 2011   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I think the only salt allowed at the event should be Fleur de sel.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011   #9
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

I like a fresh sprig of parsley as a palate cleanser.

~Dig
Old July 14, 2011   #10
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I think the only salt allowed at the event should be Fleur de sel.

Worth
Worth,
Having spent years writing tomato taste tests, I have over 35 different salts I use, including Fleur De Sel and other gourmet salts including Australian Murray River, Bolivian Rose, Peruvian Pink, Salish-Aldersmoked, HiWa Kai-black lava salt, Hawaiian Red Alaea,and of course Deep Pink Himalayan, which is "the purest salt on earth"-this primordial sea salt was created 250 million years ago during a time of environmental integrity...deep from within the remote Himalayas, it is free of impurities unlike table salt or sea salt from our polluted oceans. It says so right on the label!
It also says good until 12/20/12 right on the bottom???
I have a regular routine for tasting.
First plain, then with a pink salt, then with a garlic salt like California Garlic & Sea Salt, then with Zatarain's Creole Seasoning and finally with Good Seasons Garlic Herb Seasoning using White Balsamic Vinegar and Grapeseed oil. In between each tasting I swish with cold water with a splash of lime juice.
The grapeseed oil and White Balsamic vinegars are new this year, replacing high quality extra virgin olive oil and cider vinegar or red wine vinegar.
Enjoy!
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011   #11
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by camochef View Post
It also says good until 12/20/12 right on the bottom???

LOL!!!!!

DDF
Old July 14, 2011   #12
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Do we supply bibs as well to catch any drippings - be they tomato juices, mayo, bacon or crumbs?

Seriously like the idea of cucumbers as a palate cleanser. Last year at the BNWNY TT I nibbled on bread between tastes...that is until my bread ran out (I only brought so much that was gluten free...sighh.....note to self to bring more next time!).

I overheard some lady raving about the tomatoes in the supermarket the other day. Considering they all looked the same and tasted like cardboard (they were offering tasting of a "new variety" to the store. So out of curiousity I had to see what she was raving about - backtracking to try the samples. Worst bit of cardboard crud I've tried in ages. She actually asked me if I agreed! All I could say was I'm glad she was so pleased with it....and went on my way. So in the vein mentioned above should I have showed total distain or tried to educate her palate? Sighhhhh....have a feeling the latter would've been almost impossible....and I reckon I'd have a hard time with the former. Hmmmmmmmm.....tomato snobbery is such hard work.

Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011   #13
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

We've been known to use various palate cleansers at our CHOPTAG Taste Fests. Not the least of which is Earl's Pulled Pork.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1560.jpg (288.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1567.jpg (261.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1589.jpg (251.3 KB, 36 views)
Old July 14, 2011   #14
kath
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Zana;223649] Do we supply bibs as well to catch any drippings - be they tomato juices, mayo, bacon or crumbs? [QUOTE]

Bibs, yes, absolutely!

Quote:
So in the vein mentioned above should I have showed total distain or tried to educate her palate?
Praise for supermarket tomatoes?! Disdain, for sure- the latter would be impossible.

Hey, maybe I'm getting the hang of the snobbery thing already.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011   #15
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

Tomato Tasting Ettiquette

1, Don't try to put all the tomatoes on your plate (they won't fit), just go back for seconds.

2, More tomatoes should not leak off your chin, than go in your pie-hole. Take smaller bites.

3, If you think salt will be forbidden at your tasting, bring your own.

4, Of course bacon is the preffered item to cleanse your pallette between tomatoes.

5, Don't forget to fill out the judging notes.

6, Keep a sharp eye out for ringers, stupormarket tomatoes have no place at tomato judgings.