Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 14, 2007   #1
orflo
Tomatovillian™

Default Verticillium,fusarium or???

Hi,
I'm having some suspicious spots on my about half of my eggplants and on some tomatoes. I checked sever websites (ucdavis, cornell and others) and it's not exactly clear to me , I cut the stem of the worst eggplant and removed some off the lower leaves of one of the tomatoes: no brown discoloration showed up, there are no signs of wilting, but still the only close thing I could find is verticillium or fusarium. Can you help me on this one? Oh, and I do respect crop rotation, the eggplants were grown in soil where there hasn't been a vegetable for over twenty years,I took some pictures:

Frank
orflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2007   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Have you had some heavy rains recently?
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2007   #3
orflo
Tomatovillian™

The tomatoes are inthe greenhouse, I apply water on a regular base, some of the eggplants are in the greenhouse as well, others (the one I photographed) are outside. We had our usual portion of rain, nothing reallyy heavy or exceptional,
Frank
Old June 14, 2007   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

To my untrained eyes, that looks like your garden variety Early Blight.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2007   #5
orflo
Tomatovillian™

Is there any early blight on eggplants? I thought this was limited to tomatoes and potatoes,
FRank
Old June 17, 2007   #6
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Aren't early blight pants supposed to have a bulls eye or swirly-esque nature in the dark spot?

This happened to some of my virgin seedlings when I was starting them in the basement because I dumped too much water on them . . . I pulled the icky leaves and the ugliness never camer back. Hopefully it was just too much rain. . .
hasshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2007   #7
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

orflo, did this problem manifest itself over a long period of time or did it happen overnight. There are many things that can cause problems that show up in the leaves. Disease, nutrient problems (to much or to little) and external problems such as somebody nearby using herbicides. Ami
Old June 18, 2007   #8
bcday
Tomatovillian™

If it were verticillium or fusarium, you'd see wilting before any yellowing or browning appeared.

The affected tomato leaflets appear to be on an older leaf and without seeing more pics I would have put that browning down to some temporary environmental condition that occurred when the plant was younger.

Unless it is spreading, especially if it starts affecting the newer foliage, I'd just remove the affected leaves and see if anything further develops.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote