Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old August 14, 2015   #1
OllieKatt
Tomatovillian™

Default Squirrels!

Hey there... and Help!
I have 3 five gallon bucket containers for some determinate tomatoes and 2 pots for dwarf cherry tomatoes and the squirrels are raiding my container crop on a daily basis.
Every morning, I find that either tomatoes are missing or remnants of tomatoes litter the patio deck.
I've tried Irish Spring soap shavings and on stakes, blood meal sprinkled in my containers, cat hair left strewn about... the monsters will not be deterred.
Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old August 14, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieKatt View Post
Hey there... and Help!
I have 3 five gallon bucket containers for some determinate tomatoes and 2 pots for dwarf cherry tomatoes and the squirrels are raiding my container crop on a daily basis.
Every morning, I find that either tomatoes are missing or remnants of tomatoes litter the patio deck.
I've tried Irish Spring soap shavings and on stakes, blood meal sprinkled in my containers, cat hair left strewn about... the monsters will not be deterred.
Any suggestions? Thanks.
Put something they like better and put out water or shoot them with a pellet gun.
This is happening at night?
It could be something else.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2015   #3
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

The only treatment for squirrels is death. Theirs, not yours.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2015   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

If it's squirrels, and it's after sunset, then you must have a bright full moon. Otherwise, I agree with Worth that it is most likely another critter. Possums, Raccoons, Skunks, and the neighbor's dogs are the chief culprits around here. Occasionally, I've seen rabbits eat a bit of foliage, but never the fruit - at least I've never seen them eat the fruit.

My solution is always the same. Capital punishment for the offense. But if you have to curtail their actions, don't waste the meat.

Get a little bit of cayenne papper, some canola cooking oil, some fresh ground black pepper, a dash of salt, one can of beer, one cup of all purpose flour, and one cup of corn meal. After you shoot the squirrels, skin them, cut them up into pieces. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and use the beer as the wetting agent. Break an egg and then bread the meat and fry it slow until golden brown. Serve with corn bread, skillet fries, and cabbage slaw. Another beer will be needed to wash down the goodness. Add some tomato Juice to the beer for a real flavor burst.

Yes, I'm serious.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2015   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
If it's squirrels, and it's after sunset, then you must have a bright full moon. Otherwise, I agree with Worth that it is most likely another critter. Possums, Raccoons, Skunks, and the neighbor's dogs are the chief culprits around here. Occasionally, I've seen rabbits eat a bit of foliage, but never the fruit - at least I've never seen them eat the fruit.

My solution is always the same. Capital punishment for the offense. But if you have to curtail their actions, don't waste the meat.

Get a little bit of cayenne papper, some canola cooking oil, some fresh ground black pepper, a dash of salt, one can of beer, one cup of all purpose flour, and one cup of corn meal. After you shoot the squirrels, skin them, cut them up into pieces. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and use the beer as the wetting agent. Break an egg and then bread the meat and fry it slow until golden brown. Serve with corn bread, skillet fries, and cabbage slaw. Another beer will be needed to wash down the goodness. Add some tomato Juice to the beer for a real flavor burst.

Yes, I'm serious.
I only have one problem with your eating of the squirrel.
I like to let them cool for 24 hours before eating like I would any fresh killed meat.

Yes I'm serious too.

Worth
Old August 14, 2015   #6
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

And you are very correct, Worth. The best squirrel comes when you boil it like chicken for chicken & dumplings. When the meat is JUST done, bring it out and dry it off. Then coat it with flour and spices (including some pepper heat). Bake until coating is golden brown.

Or, strip the boiled meat off the bones and make "Squirrel Salad" like one makes Chicken Salad. How about "squirrel, rabbit, and groundhog fried rice with scrambled quail or wild duck eggs stirred in"?

But, I do agree that most all wild game is better if you let it fully cool out before beginning the cooking phase.

Anyhow, it's important that the garden raiding rodents be dispatched with extreme prejudice and a ready skillet.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2015   #7
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
And you are very correct, Worth. The best squirrel comes when you boil it like chicken for chicken & dumplings. When the meat is JUST done, bring it out and dry it off. Then coat it with flour and spices (including some pepper heat). Bake until coating is golden brown.

Or, strip the boiled meat off the bones and make "Squirrel Salad" like one makes Chicken Salad. How about "squirrel, rabbit, and groundhog fried rice with scrambled quail or wild duck eggs stirred in"?

But, I do agree that most all wild game is better if you let it fully cool out before beginning the cooking phase.

Anyhow, it's important that the garden raiding rodents be dispatched with extreme prejudice and a ready skillet.
I don't "boil" squirrel! I marinate in buttermilk overnight, then dredge in seasoned flour and fry slowly with a lid, turning ONLY once when my nose tells me to. This particular batch of overly destructive rodents was served with gravy, new potatoes, fresh peas, a freshly cut garden salad and buttermilk biscuits. Desert was a fresh pint of barney's best apple butter!

Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2015   #8
bboomer
Tomatovillian™

Awesome banquet!!
bboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2015   #9
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

That's how I do my squirrel too. It does taste like chicken afterwards. I've had things to eat I thought I never would. With me if it is something different or unusual, just don't tell me til a few hours after I've eaten to give my stomach time to settle.

If anybody told me I would eat cow's brain and scrambled eggs in my life , I would have said they were crazy. It was actually pretty good. Anything too gamey and I just smoother it in gravy. Gravy works wonders.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2015   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Hellmanns that is a meal fit for a king.

Worth
Old August 14, 2015   #11
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Hellmanns that is a meal fit for a king.

Worth
Been a looong time ago, but it was good....and, solved a critter problem!
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2015   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmanns View Post
Been a looong time ago, but it was good....and, solved a critter problem!
I have a pellet gun and some half grown squirrels.
It shouldn't hurt the population if I shoot a nice fat one.
I just wont tell the neighbor lady.
In my younger days I would have fed her one of her pet squirrels and not told her.
Worth
Old August 14, 2015   #13
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I have squirrel issues, but I'm not eating one! Only wish I could use a pellet gun.
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2015   #14
rwsacto
Tomatovillian™

If you don't believe in capital punishment, habitat relocation or squirrel bussing can make a difference. (Hey, they do it with wolves, mountain lions and bears!) Start with a live trap, bait and set up off the ground, capture the greedy ones early in the morning and relocate to where they can compete in the wild (or at least in someone else's garden). Repeat as necessary.

I know a guy who knows a guy who relocated 15 last year.

The secret to success is to keep it a secret.
rwsacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2015   #15
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsacto View Post
If you don't believe in capital punishment, habitat relocation or squirrel bussing can make a difference. (Hey, they do it with wolves, mountain lions and bears!) Start with a live trap, bait and set up off the ground, capture the greedy ones early in the morning and relocate to where they can compete in the wild (or at least in someone else's garden). Repeat as necessary.

I know a guy who knows a guy who relocated 15 last year.

The secret to success is to keep it a secret.
RWsacto, wait until you hear how much guff you're going to get for that suggestion. People get downright angry at us for suggesting a no kill method, but I am with you.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote