Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.
|
|
|
December 12, 2017 | #1 |
Tomatovillian™
|
2018 winter grow
I'm trying superhot peppers this year just cuz, they survived the snow and freeze so far. I'm not expecting flowers till probably March but I'm hoping the plant is huge by then and it should be a big producer. Tomatoes are suckers from a friends GH I started a few weeks ago and I brought the Mirlitons in hoping they grow, I had to chop them off the trellis but they're growing again. That's Ghosts in the blue containers and the weather didn't slow down the flowers/buds yet. They look bad due to the rains we had this year but I started feeding them the hydro/masterblend solution and they're greening up at the top growth.
|
December 14, 2017 | #2 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Looks like a great way to pass the winter. It's a nice set-up too.
January 2, 2018 | #3 |
Tomatovillian™
|
1-2-2018 update, it's 23° in South Louisiana WOW!!
I'm trying a few new things. I started some cuke seeds, they're not growing very fast but they should pick up once these freezing temps move out. The Ghost peppers in the blue containers are still flowering and making peppers. The mirlitons are growing slowly too, they grow about 4" a day when the temps are about 80° inside.
I took these about 7:30 central time, there was ice on the plastic but the small electric heaters were keeping them warm. |
January 2, 2018 | #4 |
Tomatovillian™
|
They look really good!
|
January 11, 2018 | #5 |
|
Oooh Ahhh I need to get one of these setups!
Looks great RG Waiting for spring!! |
January 11, 2018 | #6 |
Tomatovillian™
|
I just learned that chayote are also called mirlitons. From where I'm from we eat their young shoots.
|
January 12, 2018 | #7 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Rajun that's an awesome set up! What varieties of tomatoes are you growing there?
Heide |
January 12, 2018 | #8 |
Tomatovillian™
|
I don't know what most of them are, I took suckers from a friends greenhouse and he didn't remember what they are. I did start 2 Bloody Butchers and I do have 2 F-1 crosses I made last year, they're Compari X Rebel Yell and Siberian X Rebel Yell.
|
January 12, 2018 | #9 |
Tomatovillian™
|
How are you heating it and how much does it cost you a month?
|
April 3, 2018 | #10 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Rajun, can you tell us anything about the Compari x Rebel Yell? (I think it's spelled Campari though).
Nan |
May 10, 2018 | #11 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Sorry Nan, I just saw this. The F-1 was a small tomato about Campari size. I have F-2 seeds to start but haven't yet.
May 10, 2018 | #12 |
Tomatovillian™
|
F-2 is the fun one!
Nan |
|
|