Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 24, 2015   #1
Godlike
Tomatovillian™

Default Cherokee Purple Tempermental

Hi, My one Cherokee purple plant is now three months old and it has one tomato down low. The plants has had numerous flowers over this three month period, but all have just dried up and fell off. I have fertalized the plant with E B Stone Tomato and vegetable food, E B Stone lime, and E B Stone Green Sand. The plant still has flowers but no tomatoes. It has been a cool spring and summer so far.
Any advice is appreaciated.

I may pull it out and plant a hybrid instead.

Last edited by Godlike; May 24, 2015 at 10:54 PM.
Godlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2015   #2
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

I think it's our weather. Give it a little more time and see if things get better.

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2015   #3
Godlike
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
I think it's our weather. Give it a little more time and see if things get better.
Hi, I am in San Rafael , thanks.

My other tomato plants are doing well. I did pull two early girls because of some kind of leaf blight. One had 50 tomatoes on it, but I freaked and did not want to infect the other plants.

I am spraying Seronade once a week.
Godlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2015   #4
Dang Me
Tomatovillian™

I grew a Cherokee Purple two years ago that produced not one single tomato. Grew it in the same spot and it produced fairly well the next year. I believe CP is fairly slow to produce so you might want to give it some time. It also was perfectly green when all the other tomatoes had been done in by the heat which impressed my parents so they requested it again this year. So maybe it needs a little heat.
Dang Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2015   #5
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if it likes more humidity? I always have multiple fruit on mine here in Atlanta.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2015   #6
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
I wonder if it likes more humidity? I always have multiple fruit on mine here in Atlanta.

Scott, I think you are right.Cherokee Purple is a heavy producer on the very humid coast of Virginia.Cherokee Purple came from humid areas so it makes sense that it would be well adapted to humidity.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2015   #7
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

I have been growing CP for several yrs in southern Ohio and its easy to grow for me here. Bottom clusters often set 5 tomatoes. Some are a full pound but most are 8-12oz. I have had good luck with IS also. My CP are in a separate in ground garden that only gets about 6 hrs a day of sunlight. I have amended extremely poor soil in this little place with top soil and bagged manure from Wal-Mart and fertilize with granular 6-12-12 and occasional MG. I have 15 plants there this yr in a place approx. 15x7...3 rows of 5. They are about 16" and have some blooms and look pretty good. Maybe some pics later if I ever break down and get a camera and learn how to p;ost them. I have 52 plants on the other side of the house that are Estlers ML, Bear Claw, Hillbilly, Big Beef, Choc Cherry and Italian Ice. Plus cukes, squash, kohlrabi, half runner beans, sweet corn, peppers and egg plants. Big garden is close to 40' square and mostly clay soil. Tomatoes are staked with 5-6ft oak stakes from seed and feed store. I have built 3 20gal totes for suckers to start mid July and need 3 more to have 2 big pinks, 2 yellow/red and 2 CP. They are quasi 5-1-1 mix but I use some MG potting mix too. WE NEED SOME RAIN!
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2015   #8
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

My Spudakee, which is very close to Cherokee Purple, are all loaded with large,green fruits. It looks like it will be my earliest of the larger varieties and also earlier than some of the smaller ones. I think it's very weather dependent.
I've used bone meal and weekly feedings of kelp/fish emulsion.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2015   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I grew both Spudakee and Cherokee Purple for years but finally threw in the hat with CP. CP is just to inconsistent while Spudakee is a very reliable tomato and there is no difference in the finished product so why not go with the more reliable one. Since I have cut down dramatically on the varieties I grow Spudakee is still a must grow while many others have been dropped.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2015   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I grew both Spudakee and Cherokee Purple for years but finally threw in the hat with CP. CP is just to inconsistent while Spudakee is a very reliable tomato and there is no difference in the finished product so why not go with the more reliable one. Since I have cut down dramatically on the varieties I grow Spudakee is still a must grow while many others have been dropped.

Bill
Bill, CP and Spudakee have different origins as does Cherokee Purple Potato Leaf, and I've posted here before that the only way to make direct comparisons is to grow all in the same season. I know a few folks who have done that and their results don't aways agree, but then it makes a huge difference as to where grown, how grown, amendments used,the weather in any given season and other variables.

I do think that for some a reasonable alternative might be Indian Stripe, whch is a version, if you will, of CP.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki...b=General_Info

Tania hasn't had time to update for 2015 for most varieties except where she herself is offering the variety for 2015 but you can see how many places listed it for 2014 which speaks to its popularity.

And no, I'm not suggsting it b'c I was the one who first got the seeds for it and spread it around. I'm suggsting it b'c many have moved from growing CP to IS.There's more I could say than Tania said in her description, but maybe not necessary here and now.

Carolyn
Old May 26, 2015   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I always grow several Indian Stripes both regular and potato leaf and find it one of the most dependable and delicious varieties for our climate down here. It blows most other black tomatoes out of the water as far as production and dependability are concerned as well as being one of the best tasting. If I had to chose just one black tomato to grow it would be Indian Stripe.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2015   #12
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

CP is known for its taste, not its productivity.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2015   #13
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bughunter99 View Post
CP is known for its taste, not its productivity.
Agree. But it is not a poor producer lik BW either.
Amongst nearly 30 varietie one of my CPs has been one of th 3 to flower first. Right now it has 4 flower/bud trusses and keeps pumping more at about 2ft height. I can anticipate that it is going to be one of the 5 earl producers too. It was planted out on 4/8/15
So no complaints here.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2015   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Tania's site was down for a bit this AM so I just went back and grabbed the link I wanted, which is:

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/C...b=General_Info

Please look at seed availability, not updated for 2015 except for Tania herself, look at the # of 2014 vendors and that should give you some idea of how popular this variey is, which it wouldn't be if it were a poor producer, etc. And when I look in my 2015 SSE Yearbook I see folks listing it, all positive, from almost every US state and elsewhere.

Yes, blossom drop can be a real problem, and several reasons why that can occur, but none of them related to JUST CP.

Carolyn, who was one of the first to grow CP back in about 1992 after Craig L sent me seeds for it that he had been sent from J. D Green, and it's now known from some allele analyses that it is NOT a 100 yo old variety and I think I still have a link to that study in my faves.
Old May 28, 2015   #15
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Tania's site was down for a bit this AM so I just went back and grabbed the link I wanted, which is:

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/C...b=General_Info

Please look at seed availability, not updated for 2015 except for Tania herself, look at the # of 2014 vendors and that should give you some idea of how popular this variey is, which it wouldn't be if it were a poor producer, etc. And when I look in my 2015 SSE Yearbook I see folks listing it, all positive, from almost every US state and elsewhere.

Yes, blossom drop can be a real problem, and several reasons why that can occur, but none of them related to JUST CP.

Carolyn, who was one of the first to grow CP back in about 1992 after Craig L sent me seeds for it that he had been sent from J. D Green, and it's now known from some allele analyses that it is NOT a 100 yo old variety and I think I still have a link to that study in my faves.

So I guess you are saying the Cherokee Indians didn't grow this and busting my bubble.Not all bad news today.I thought my Prudens Purple had dropped all their blossoms and it did on one plant, but the other plant has 2 tomatoes.And Your Cuostralee is setting tomatoes fine but I have never seen anything quite like it.It looks like the blossoms are growing on a regular leaf stem.it looks like a regular leaf with blossoms on both plants.Kinda weird

Last edited by seaeagle; May 28, 2015 at 07:30 PM.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee purple , zone 8