Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 1, 2015   #1
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

Default PH meter which one

I'm looking for a good ph meter for liquids. I'm growing hydropnically this yr and I need a good ph meter. Any help would be apprecated
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2015   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I thing it has to be something that can be calibrated, with an accuracy of 0.01

Last edited by Gardeneer; April 2, 2015 at 03:36 AM. Reason: spell
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2015   #3
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Will you be moving it around alot? Or mostly measuring the liquid stream in one particular spot.? Do you want/need a combination probe so you can read conductance as well? Does it need to log anything?

How durable do you want the probe tip? Usually a fast probe is very delicate, a durable probe can be quite slow.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2015   #4
Elagrow
Tomatovillian™

honestly, if you are growing in small scale (50 or less plants) I would recommend a cheap meter. I personally use the Milwaukee instruments PH Meter (I used my affiliate link here) it does come with some 7.01 calibration fluid, and seems to have decent longevity (we use it several times a day) and the best part of it, the price is right.

now, that being said, if you are growing in a larger scale area, (running something like a 300g res. or more) I would recommend a detached probe type of PH meter, that also reads your TDS, EC, and perhaps Temp as well. For that I would recommend a BlueLab meter.
Old April 19, 2015   #5
Vacaville
Tomatovillian™

If you are interested in a high end bench top meter, I have found the Mettler Toledo Multi-seven to be excellent. It is very accurate and can read both pH and conductivity. It is extremely easy to calibrate and will hold it's calibration for quite a long time. It is mainly intended for use in research labs and various industrial applications, so it is expensive. Don't be discouraged by the high price for a new unit; I found one used on ebay for $115 and I am very happy with the purchase.
Vacaville is offline   Reply With Quote