Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old March 28, 2009   #1
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Favorite tree for looks

I'm finally going to try growing trees in containers, which I've wanted to do for quite awhile. I plan on starting from seed as I like the idea of starting them myself. Even though I realize they take a very long time to grow.

The problem I'm having is, especially with the bonsai varieties I've seen for sale on 'seedrack.com', they don't look very nice when I search them on google images. Some of them look good on seedrack's website, but on google I get a different idea of how they look.

So I went to Angelgrove, which has quite a few different varieties of tree seeds for sale. Unfortunately, they don't have pics of the trees next to the descriptions. It would take a very long time for me to search a good portion of them of google images, so I thought first I'd come here and ask the opinions of others. What are some of your favorite tree varieties? For looks more than anything. And they don't have to be a variety that is normally considered good for bonsai.

I once saw a picture of a Kapok tree in either the Ukraine or Russia. Unfortunately, I can't find seeds for that on-line. It was impressive. And as I recall a fast grower. Once while watching a program on tv they showed a really beautiful version of a Japanese Red Maple. It was the most eye-catching Japanese Red Maple I've ever seen. The bark even had a beautiful reddish tint. Unfortunately, I don't know what the specific variety of Japanese Red Maple that one was. Plus, on the program they mentioned it does not always grow true to the parent's coloring.

I'm basically just trying to get opinions on what people's favorite trees are for looks. I'll probably end up with Sugar Maple as one of the varieties, but need to figure out one or two others also. You have to order at least $10 on the site, which means buying two varieties at $5 each.

Once I grow the seeds out the trees should compliment the Giant Suhaurao cactus seeds I just started a couple of days ago! Already have 3 of those that have broken through the soil line. With more to follow. Faster germination than I expected. Now I need to find some neat trees to start.

Thanks in advance, Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2009   #2
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

One thing that I learned from growing my own trees; was that ANY tree that contains the words Chinese, Japanese or Taiwanese are too aggressive and invasive, by seeds or roots.

You really need to ask your county agriculturist about what kind of trees to grow. They often get looney about invasives'. You may come home one day and find it chopped down by your own township. If it's forbidden, then you may get a fine too; even if you didn't know it.

~* Robin
Old March 29, 2009   #3
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info, Robin. I'll be growing in containers but I do see how seeds could still fall from the trees and start growing somewhere else. I know there are several trees with the name Japanese or Chinese in them that are used for bonsai, but I guess those are out of the question now. It's very surprising to me as I've looked around quite a bit on the internet trying to find the 'perfect' variety and never read anywhere else that the trees you mentioned are invasive. It's definitely important info to know about!

Curious, did you find this out the hard way through personal experience? I've seen alot of Red Japanese Maples for sale or growing in folks yards, so am surprised knowing what I do now.

Jeff
Old March 29, 2009   #4
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaJB View Post
Curious, did you find this out the hard way through personal experience? I've seen alot of Red Japanese Maples for sale or growing in folks yards, so am surprised knowing what I do now.

Jeff
Yes I did find it out the hard way. The city was making checks on the land in the neighborhood to make sure we were not burning things, because of the "no burn" orders that the town issued. Then I saw them by some trees that were growing and took some samples from them. 3 days later they asked me to see trees in our backyard. One, they sent orders to remove 2 different trees from the other lot, and then asked me to get rid of 2 smaller trees that I was growing out from seeds; that were still in 2 big pots. I had my brother come over and take them to sell out of state. One a Paulownia tomentosa, the other a Olive tree.

They said that I could remove it, or they would be removing for me. They then advised me to check with my local county extension to check which ones were native to the area; before ordering seeds!

I guess if you grow trees to do bonsai with, they can't get you, as most of those kind are usually grown in the house. Here are 2 links for you. I hope you can decide a tree that's not on the list.

NRCS Invasive Species Policy
Invasive Species Executive Order 13112

~* Robin
Old March 29, 2009   #5
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

One of my favorite trees is redbud, Cercis occidentalis (and also the eastern species). It flowers before the leaves come out. When I lived in the midwest, I was hiking in the snow one day and up ahead was a tree covered with deep pink buds! After the flowers are gone, the heart-shaped leaves are lovely. In the fall it has decorative brownish leguminous pods. And the winter structure is delicate.

A great California tree is buckeye, Aesculus californica, which has a strikingly muscular structure in the dormant season, then sprouts spring-green leaves after the rains start. It's very easy to start from seed -- in fact, I found one that had sprouted in my path mulch (far from any buckeyes) the other day.

Another wonderful small tree is California hazelnut, Corylus cornuta californica. It has wonderful profuse catkins in the spring. A related species, C. avellana 'Contorta' (Harry Lauder's walking stick) has twisty, gnarled branches. Last time I was there, the Smithsonian had a nice one in its garden.

I could go on, but I'll stop here.

Oh, several Japanese maples have red bark. One of the most decorative is Acer palmatum 'Sango Kaku', Coral Bark Maple, whose bark turns coral red in winter. 'Bloodgood' has very dark red, almost black, bark.

Manzanitas might work for bonsai. Arctostaphylos glauca has a large seed and is easy to grow -- I've known people who grew landscape specimens from seed. It has wonderful red-brown bark, lovely white or pink bell-shaped flowers in late winter, and blue-gray evergreen leaves.

At the garden show last week, one of the most striking bonsai specimens was a very old wisteria vine.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2009   #6
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Cedrus atlantica glauca, commonly known as Blue Atlas Cedar. Cobbed this one from a website. You can see how beautiful they are.
Old March 30, 2009   #7
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Robin,

That's one sad 'tree story'. I can imagine how upset you must have been over what happened. I'll have to check out the links you posted. Honestly, I'm just starting out as far as learning about growing trees. I've read some on bonsai, but not so much on trees in general.

I did learn that Black Walnut trees produce a chemical called juglone, which inhibits growth in other plants, including tomato and eggplant, to name a couple. It's referred to as 'allelopathy'. Other trees produce it also but not as strongly as Black Walnut, from what I've read. Even Sugar Maple which I was thinking of growing produces a little. There are more things to consider when choosing a tree than I had realized.

habitat_gardener,

I know Angelgrove sells the Bloodgood variety, but I'll have to check the other one. It's very possible the one I saw, which was a tree growing in a park in Japan, was a Sango Kaku. It really was a great looking tree. I'm thinking I saw it on Gardening by the Yard a couple of years ago. Thanks for all the info!

Barbee,

Great pic of a Blue Atlas Cedar. I'll keep that variety in mind when I buy seeds in about a week or so. Wonder how old that tree was.

Sunday I decided to plant some seeds I had purchased about 2 years ago. I don't expect them to germinate, but if they do I'll have Hinoki seedlings, along with Coast Redwood and Giant Sequoia. Only Hinoki could manage well in zone 5, but I'll give the others a try also. Not expecting germination but they were in the freezer for a couple of weeks before planting so who knows, maybe I'll see a couple germinate. Not expecting them to.

Thanks again for all the info, Jeff

Last edited by OmahaJB; March 30, 2009 at 06:49 PM. Reason: To add an "s" :)
Old March 30, 2009   #8
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

http://www.jimgremel.com/bonsaihomepage.html
Here's the link to the guy's website. Lots of beautiful bonsai to look at and I saw several links to supplies, plants for sale, etc. Maybe you'll see one that catches your eye.
Old April 2, 2009   #9
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Nice of you to post that link, Barbee. I'll check it out this weekend when I have a little more time. For some reason bonsai trees fascinate me.

Will probably be purchasing seeds soon from seedrack. I've wanted Dawn Redwood for awhile, and I'll pick one a little unusual for this area, Ponderosa pine. They are both ok for this zone according to the website. I would buy from Angelgrove, but I also want to buy pelleted tobacco seeds, which seedrack sells. Have to buy them before they are outlawed! Only half kidding as the House passed a bill that gives the FDA authority to regulate tobacco. It'll still be legal, but will have no flavorings, and other aspects will be controlled. Eventually I'm sure they'll try to ban people 'growing their own'. The Senate is expected to pass the bill later this month.

I'm looking forward to growing both the trees and a little tobacco to see how it does here, and if I can process it properly.
Old April 2, 2009   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The Japanese maple is absolutely the most stunning tree I have ever seen.
I have one in my yard and it is just starting to put out leaves.

I could mention other trees but they will freeze out in your area but you could put them in pots and bring inside during the cold spells.

One in particular is the Pride of Barbados tree, what a glorious tree this is and it dose great in dry climates.

I have seeds from this tree and will be glad to send you some.
They need to be scarified to sprout.

Here is a picture of this tree.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2009   #11
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

That is an interesting looking tree, Worth. Very nice. Are my eyes playing tricks on me or do the flowers grow in a circular pattern? I have a little old webtv so sometimes the images aren't clear for me the way they would be on a computer.

I'll be in touch this weekend with my address, or I could send a SASE if you prefer. Also, if you'd like any of the seeds I'll be buying in about a week, I'll be happy to send them in exchange. The tobacco seeds are pelleted and the variety is Virginia Gold. The trees are Dawn Redwood which I doubt grow in Texas(?) and Ponderosa Pine which I think is good up to zone 9.

Thanks for the offer, Worth!

Jeff
Old April 2, 2009   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I'll look for the seeds tomorrow, they are in a pod and I save them every year.
When the pod dries it will separate into two corkscrew halves from the slightest force and sling seeds everywhere.
Quite amazing.
It is one of the plants I have here that once established needs very little water, too much will kill it.

Tobacco you say.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2009   #13
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Sent you a PM, Worth....
Old April 3, 2009   #14
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Barbee,

I just checked out that website you provided the link for. Wow! I knew bonsai trees could get expensive, but didn't realize just how much so. He has some Green Atlas Cedar's available for between $1200-$3400. And a juniper 12 years in training for $2900.

And all these years I've been trying to find the right career path!

I noticed with the Green Atlas Cedar's at least, he mentioned growing them in the ground for a few years before digging them out to pot for bonsai. That's a good way to speed up development I guess. The Green Atlas Cedar he has on his homepage is very attractive, but not for sale.
Old April 9, 2009   #15
gardenfrog
Tomatovillian™

I agree that Sugar Maple is one of the most beautiful trees ever created! It takes a long, long time, though, to mature. Another showy tree, and one that looks great in just a few years is Bradford Flowering Pear. Bradford can be grown in most front yards, where Sugar Maple needs room to "stretch". Also Sugar Maples will damage sidewalks and other masonry if the roots get too close.
gardenfrog is offline   Reply With Quote