Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old December 25, 2015   #1
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Default Greenhouse photos

It's all still alive!!! I can't believe it.

The broccoli is starting to produce finally. It was planted in a too warm greenhouse at the beginning of October. I got Piriciaba, which is supposed to put out multiple small heads and not just one main head. It's also supposed to be bred to be heat tolerant. Here's hoping!
broccoli.jpg

Here's what I've got going on inside. Taken on Christmas Eve. It isn't growing much, except for the broccoli, bok choi and chard. They seem unfased by the lack of light or the cold and are growing a little each day.
GH12-24-1.jpg
GH12-24-2.jpg

I picked some greens for a Christmas salad! The lettuces that are doing the best are Winter Marvel, Yugoslavian Red Butterhead, Tango and Marvel of Four Seasons. There's also some basil (YES, still alive!) cilantro, beet greens, tatsoi, chard and bok choy in there.
salad in the snow.jpg

Here's the first broccoli floret. I know it's not much, but we just HAD to taste it. Fresh broccoli is so much better than from the grocery store! On Christmas Day? Priceless! This tiny piece was cut into three pieces so everyone could have some. Also, two tomatoes! I have two plants that are still partially alive. One, a green pear is the strangest thing. It is still ripening the tomatoes that are on it, and sprouting up from the base where I noticed today that the darned thing now has blossoms on it.
ChristmasHarvest.jpg

We got about 3" of snow yesterday, and today was only about 24° for the high. tonight is supposed to be around 10° Temperatures outside have gotten as low as 10° and I'm able to keep it about 10-12° warmer than that. Everything is covered in multiple layers of heavyweight row covers. There are also Christmas lights under the covers.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Sharing a tiny piece of broccoli three ways on Christmas day is very heart warming.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2015   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Love it! Beautiful to see the pretty green things growing
Merry Christmas
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2015   #4
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Yes, that was breakfast. HA!
Old December 25, 2015   #5
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Yum! Fresh greens in winter, so delicious and healthy, and what a cheery thriving place to get out of the cold and snow. Where's the lawn chair?

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2015   #6
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Dee, its in the corner behind me. It really does help my mood. The only problem is condensation keep dripping on my head! It was nearly 60 in there today because the sun came out for a while this afternoon in between the snow flurries!
Old December 26, 2015   #7
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Robin, how's your raised bed layout working out for you? Are you happy with it?
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2015   #8
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Robin that is awesome!! I'm jealous! Enjoy your year around gardening.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2015   #9
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Charlie, It's great! I think I'll be really glad that I chose to pay extra and get redwood. At first, I was thinking about maximizing the space and building two long beds the length of the greenhouse, but that proved to be a lot more expensive and so I just made the beds out of more manageable sizes and so I could walk in-between them. It's going to be more than enough produce for the three of us!

Justin, so far, so good. Our coldest part of the year is just coming up. Fingers crossed! Even if I do lose everything, I definitely consider it a success. I'm starting more plants this week to go in there in February, including some Dwarf Project varieties.

It got down to 9° last night outside, and the greenhouse stayed at 25. Everything is still okay. Not too bad!
Old December 26, 2015   #10
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Nice Looking Greens, Robin!!!
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote