Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 14, 2013   #1
wally mcgee
Tomatovillian™

Default Cherokee Purple.....Others like it?

I recently grew and ate my first Cherokee Purple tomato; I loved it; great flavor.

What are some other tomato varieties with that kind of rich; smokey taste.

I think I'm hooked on CP.
wally mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013   #2
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

I really like black tomatoes. I would say... Indian Stripe. I have read it is related to Cherokee Purple but then I have read other people insisting it is not. I really don't know if it is related but it is super productive, I believe the one I have may be semi determinate as well since it is only like 4 and a half feet but producing like crazy... and the taste is wonderful.

Now these others are not really like cherokee purple but they are wonderful black tomatoes:

Spudatula black, which I got from Secret Seed Cartel (Terry AKA Tomatoaddict's store)

And I much prefer Noire De Crimee to Black Krim, I have read that Noire De Crimee is a kind of black krim.... I got those seeds from Heritage Tomato Seed (Steve AKA Heritage's store).
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer28 View Post
I really like black tomatoes. I would say... Indian Stripe. I have read it is related to Cherokee Purple but then I have read other people insisting it is not. I really don't know if it is related but it is super productive, I believe the one I have may be semi determinate as well since it is only like 4 and a half feet but producing like crazy... and the taste is wonderful.

Now these others are not really like cherokee purple but they are wonderful black tomatoes:

Spudatula black, which I got from Secret Seed Cartel (Terry AKA Tomatoaddict's store)

And I much prefer Noire De Crimee to Black Krim, I have read that Noire De Crimee is a kind of black krim.... I got those seeds from Heritage Tomato Seed (Steve AKA Heritage's store).
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

Jennifer, you say that "other people say that CP and IS are not related", but I know of only one person who had doubts and I think he finally came around and agreed.

There are many, many threads here about Indian Stripe/ Indian Zebra, for those who wish to do a search and consider the data presented.

Carolyn
Old July 15, 2013   #4
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

Jennifer, you say that "other people say that CP and IS are not related", but I know of only one person who had doubts and I think he finally came around and agreed.

There are many, many threads here about Indian Stripe/ Indian Zebra, for those who wish to do a search and consider the data presented.

Carolyn
Congrats! You must've convinced that Steve fellow from Conway, Arkansas to finally come around and forego his doubts about CP's relationship to IS.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013   #5
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Cherokee

I think Cherokee Purple has its own unique taste. Cherokee Chocolate does not taste like it in my garden, it has a nice tomato taste, where CP has a weird twang on the taste, very good though.
Other blks do not taste like it in my IMO, I have Krim, Robeson, Pear, Prince.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013   #6
wally mcgee
Tomatovillian™

What is your all time favorite?
wally mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Indian stripe PL X Possibly Daniels.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Indian stripe PL X Possibly Daniels.

Marsha
Marsha, this is what I offered in my 2012 Seed Offer;

Indian Stripe X possibly Daniels (PL), a natural cross form Bill Jeffers growouts. My F3 seeds from Suze, who got some segregation with the F3’s, but selected this one, which is a very large deep pink, PL, and with great taste. No final variety name yet.

Not IS PL X possibly Daniels.

Carolyn

Old July 15, 2013   #9
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Marsha, this is what I offered in my 2012 Seed Offer;

Indian Stripe X possibly Daniels (PL), a natural cross form Bill Jeffers growouts. My F3 seeds from Suze, who got some segregation with the F3’s, but selected this one, which is a very large deep pink, PL, and with great taste. No final variety name yet.

Not IS PL X possibly Daniels.

Carolyn
Yeah, I see the difference.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #10
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

So many tomatoes, so little time to grow them all

Cherokee Purple sounds like something I'll have to try out next year - or whenever. Purple Calabash is another one. They say it has an unique taste as well.

Noir de Crimee goes to my 'have to try'-list as well. Hope to find some seeds from a reliable source next spring - too many stories of 'surprises' even from professional growers / companies.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #11
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Cherokee Purple is the reason I grow tomatoes.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #12
camochef
Tomatovillian™

I grew Cherokee Purple for quite a few years, as well as Cherokee Chocolate, Indian Stripe, Black Krim, Carbon, Paul Robeson Southern Night, and every other black tomato I could find . (more than you'd imagine about 6-7 years ago).
I had two problems with Cherokee Purple. First one being the fact that you could plant a row of twenty and only two or three would have great tasting tomatoes. The others would be bland or tasteless in comparison.
Second would be their short shelf life. Once picked, They go bad faster than any other tomato I'm aware of. Even Cherokee Chocolate which is supposed to be the same tomato with only a skin color mutation lasts much longer.
The only three "black" tomatoes I grow for the past few years are: Amazon Chocolate, Dana's Dusky Rose, and Bear Creek. They alternate year to year as to which is the best tasting. Bear Creek is usually the last to keep producing but Amazon Chocolate produces the largest tomatoes. Dana's Dusky Rose is a medium-sized dark tomato with great taste and decent production. If I had to pick another black it would be Black Master which also ranks among my favorites but was eliminated when I reduced the size of my gardens.
I hope you continue to enjoy Cherokee Purple and other dark tomatoes.
Enjoy!
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #13
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

No fans of Black from Tula in here huh?
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #14
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Camochef

You did not mention that you were growing Paul Robeson this year like in the past, I think I will always grow it, unless... someone like you tells me of a better blk tomato. At any rate, it produces well for me, 10-16oz tomatoes, and taste great. What happened?
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #15
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
You did not mention that you were growing Paul Robeson this year like in the past, I think I will always grow it, unless... someone like you tells me of a better blk tomato. At any rate, it produces well for me, 10-16oz tomatoes, and taste great. What happened?
Without checking my journals, I'd say its been 4-5 years at least since I grew Paul Robeson. I hope it continues to do well for you in your area.
I've cut back from growing hundreds of varieties each year, (and doing taste tests and reviews on them), to growing only twenty tomato plants this year. Therefore I had to eliminate hundreds of my favorites and go with the best of the best. Paul Robeson was one of those eliminated a few years back. It just doesn't produce the numbers of tomatoes that those remaining blacks do. Those still being grown also taste better than many of the older varieties that I used to grow.
I don't know about your area, but for me here in south central Pa. I highly recommend the Blacks I continue growing year after year:
Amazon Chocolate,
Dana's Dusky Rose,
Bear Creek,
and
Black Master.

I still prefer my Pinks even more, those like:
Cowlick Brandywine,
Brandywine Glicks,
Brandywine Sudduths,
Liz Birt,
Barlow Jap,
Earl's Faux,
German Johnson-Benton Strain,
Purple Dog Creek,
Terhune,
and my DDRXBW-C (a Dana's Dusky Rose/Brandywine-Cowlick cross)
Not just great in taste, but also high in production and are good sized slicers.

The only red was Tarasenko6 but it went down in one of the many severe wind storms to hit our area, as did my German Johnson-Benton Strain from original seed (not the seed from last years grafted plant) and my P.L. Liz Birt. I'll miss them but I should get enough from those still remaining to fulfill my needs.
Good Luck and Enjoy!
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote