Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 9, 2013   #1
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Default Hot Pepper Pics.

My tomatoes are just about gone, but my hot peppers are doing well. If anyone
wants some seeds of these peppers. Let me know..

Congo Trinidad

7 Pot Primo

Prik Kee Noo Suan

Fooderama Scotch Bonnet

Peach Habanero

Orange Blob (this is a cross)

Harold St. Bart's

Aji Caballero (similar to tabasco)
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2013   #2
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Very nice!
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2013   #3
nolabelle
Tomatovillian™

I would LOVE some of those pepper seeds, but I've never grown pepper plants from seeds. Hopefully, they come with instructions!

Seriously, I think I need some more experience before you can trust me with seeds. Thank you for the generous offer. I wouldn't want to waste them :/
Old August 9, 2013   #4
jack03111969
Tomatovillian™

I would love to try the 7 Pot Primo. I have ghost pepper seeds and Caribbean red habanero seeds for trade if your interested shoot me a pm.
jack03111969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2013   #5
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack03111969 View Post
I would love to try the 7 Pot Primo. I have ghost pepper seeds and Caribbean red habanero seeds for trade if your interested shoot me a pm.
No problem. I still need to harvest the seed and let them dry out
for at least a week. I will send you a pm when they are ready.

Nolabelle, let me know if you change your mind.
Old August 9, 2013   #6
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Nolabelle, it's not hard! Even I can do it. Exact same process as tomato seeds. It can take longer for the seeds to sprout, or so I've heard (my order this year sprouted, superhots to sweet, in about a week).

The farmer I bought my seedlings from in spring said they start their seeds January 1st to be ready to plant out in March. I am finding they grow faster in the heat -- I have some started mid-June that need to go in the ground pretty soon.

You should try! Not much season left, but you could put it in a pot and bring it inside over "winter".
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2013   #7
nolabelle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlintx View Post
Nolabelle, it's not hard! Even I can do it. Exact same process as tomato seeds. It can take longer for the seeds to sprout, or so I've heard (my order this year sprouted, superhots to sweet, in about a week).

The farmer I bought my seedlings from in spring said they start their seeds January 1st to be ready to plant out in March. I am finding they grow faster in the heat -- I have some started mid-June that need to go in the ground pretty soon.

You should try! Not much season left, but you could put it in a pot and bring it inside over "winter".
I've never grown tomatoes from seeds either. You must understand; my thumb is dreaming about being green, but has yet to attain that level. I want to grow stuff, but am not knowledgeable enough to dive full in. I'm still learning.

Right now, even my herbs are going south due to heat and bugs. The yard garden is RIP. I have struck a new interest in SWC, having FINALLY gotten an understanding of how they work. (I'm a bit slow with some things.) I want to experiment with that and measure my success before asking to trade seeds. Although I really like that Harold St. Bart pepper.
Old August 10, 2013   #8
FaithHopeLove
Tomatovillian™

Sent you a PM
FaithHopeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2013   #9
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Wow, beautiful peppers! So much diversity in the Pepper World, I need to explore it more

Peach Habanero has such lovely color. And 7 Pot Primo has such an interesting shape!

I have Habaneros of 4 different colors, but do not have Peach yet - I would be interested to try it in the future.

Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2013   #10
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Wow, beautiful peppers! So much diversity in the Pepper World, I need to explore it more

Peach Habanero has such lovely color. And 7 Pot Primo has such an interesting shape!

I have Habaneros of 4 different colors, but do not have Peach yet - I would be interested to try it in the future.

Tatiana
The peach habanero has a very pretty color and taste good..If you want some seed
let me know...None of these plants have been isolated though.
Old August 10, 2013   #11
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Really nice peppers roper! I don't have any seeds yet but maybe later on we can do some trading. None of mine are isolated either.

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide

Last edited by Mojave; August 10, 2013 at 08:31 PM.
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2013   #12
nolabelle
Tomatovillian™

Here's that sink full of peppers I mentioned earlier.

And some individuals I thought were pretty.

And while we're here, can anyone give me a clue as to what this pepper might be? I think it's a habanero of some kind.
Old August 12, 2013   #13
Kazfam
Tomatovillian™

Wow! Beautiful. What do you do with them? Dry, hot sauce, ???

Question for you veterans...I am growing Malagueta Peppers and they are turning red at about an inch long. Do they get much bigger than that? Doesn't the red color mean it is time to pick them?

Thanks for any info.

Here's a picture...I have them in a sunny window to dry them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070953.JPG (94.3 KB, 8 views)
Old August 12, 2013   #14
Kazfam
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazfam View Post
Question for you veterans...I am growing Malagueta Peppers and they are turning red at about an inch long. Do they get much bigger than that? Doesn't the red color mean it is time to pick them?
Just found this out - perhaps I have the smaller version because I am picking them too early? Or would too early be green? Or will they continue to grow once red?

Malagueta Chilli Pepper
60,000 - 100,000 Scovilles
The Malagueta pepper is a type of chili used in Brazil, Portugal and Mozambique. It is a small, tapered, green pepper that turns red as it matures at about 5 cm. Two sizes are seen in markets, which will sometimes have different names: the smaller ones are called malaguetinha in Brazil and piri piri in Portugal and Mozambique, and the larger ones are called malaguetão in Brazil and malagueta in Portugal. They are not different varieties, just peppers of different maturities from the same plant.
http://www.cayennediane.com/BigListo...f-peppers.html

Last edited by Kazfam; August 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM.
Kazfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2013   #15
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazfam View Post
Wow! Beautiful. What do you do with them? Dry, hot sauce, ???

Thanks for any info.

Here's a picture...I have them in a sunny window to dry them.
Once they are red pick them. They will not grow anymore. I make powder, pickle some and make pepper jelly with the jalapeno's.