Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 11, 2015   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Using Tomato Tone

I have read in several threads where some of you TV folks use Tomato Tone. Onthe way home today, I stopped at Kmart for more soil and saw that they had bags on Tomato Tone almost half price. Boy that stuff expensive.

I know what it says on the back of the bag, but that is not the same as asking folks how do you use and when. I'd rather have first hand knowledge from the folks here.

Can anybody share their experiences with and tell me how much and when to use it?

How big do your seedlings have to be before you can use it? I grow in containers, so how often will I need to use it.

Do I still have to use any other type of ferts along with the Tomato Tone?

Do I keep using it even when the plants start making tomatoes?

Can it be used on my peppers and perennial plants too?
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2015   #2
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Good questions! This is my first year using it also and would like to know.
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2015   #3
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
How big do your seedlings have to be before you can use it? I grow in containers, so how often will I need to use it.
I start early. I mix a little thoroughly into the potting soil when I pot them up.
Also mix some thoroughly into the container mix before you transplant, if you can prepare your containers weeks earlier before you transplant that's even better, it gives the microbes a head start at breaking the organics down.
You can follow Espoma's directions as far as supplemental feedings through the seasons but I generally don't do it that often, instead I supplement every week or two with a liquid organic fertilizer.

Quote:
Do I still have to use any other type of ferts along with the Tomato Tone?
Yes as I said above. Usually a fish hydrolysate & kelp based fertilizer.

Quote:
Do I keep using it even when the plants start making tomatoes?
Yes you can or again supplement with a liquid instead.

Quote:
Can it be used on my peppers and perennial plants too?
Absolutely, peppers love the stuff too.

Last edited by RayR; April 11, 2015 at 07:47 PM.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2015   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I think Tomato Tone has everything that tomato plants need, including Calcium, Mag. I have used it in the past. I was @ Lowes yesterday looking for it , but I couldn't find any.

Another option/alternative is MG's Shake-n-Feed for tomatoes (not all purpose). It also has calcium , Mag and the trace elements needed. This one is in slow release form. That is a good choice for container growing.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2015   #5
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

starlight' I also grow the bulk of my tomatoes in large pots. When I transplant to the Pots and/or ground I place a heaping tablespoon of Tomato tone and Calcium in the hole. The only other additive I use on my Plants is Daconil to limit fungus or other plant diseases. It seems to work for me
Old April 12, 2015   #6
WhippoorwillG
Tomatovillian™

It seems as if a lot of places, both big box and smaller retailers aren't carrying the Tomatone this year, but are still carrying the generic Garden Tone or Veggie Tone. Has anyone else had that same experience this year?

I generally use it for specimen plants in pots with an amount mixed in. The amount added depends upon the potting mix I'm starting with.

Whippoorwill Gardens
WhippoorwillG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2015   #7
motheralb
Tomatovillian™

I'm in California and I have seen it everywhere.
motheralb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2015   #8
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Whip, that's what I'm seeing, luckily Kmart had it though along with the other 'tones...
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2015   #9
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Espoma is an east coast company so availability is probably limited out west just like organic fertilizers made out west are hard if not impossible to find here in the east. I have seen the Espoma tones at Walmart and Kmart here but I buy mine from a local nursery actually at a better price. The 18lb bags are a better value than the small bags if you can get them.
Old April 12, 2015   #10
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Tomatotone is organic; I think that's its big selling point.

If you're not concerned about being organic, Osmocote works great, too. It's pelleted, which makes it time-release, so it won't burn young plants.

I grew a Dwarf Tasmanian Chocolate last summer. It was potted in peat mix, no compost, and only had Osmocote and Miracle Grow as fertilizers. I was a little worried about what the flavor would be like, but it was one of the best-tasting tomatoes I have ever grown, certainly the best ever in a container.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2015   #11
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
I start early. I mix a little thoroughly into the potting soil when I pot them up.
Also mix some thoroughly into the container mix before you transplant, if you can prepare your containers weeks earlier before you transplant that's even better, it gives the microbes a head start at breaking the organics down.
You can follow Espoma's directions as far as supplemental feedings through the seasons but I generally don't do it that often, instead I supplement every week or two with a liquid organic fertilizer.

Yes as I said above. Usually a fish hydrolysate & kelp based fertilizer.

Yes you can or again supplement with a liquid instead.

Absolutely, peppers love the stuff too.
Do I treat the peppers the same way as the tomatoes with it? Fish fertilizer I can probably find, but I don't know of any place off hand that sells a kelp based fertilizer. Hummm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I think Tomato Tone has everything that tomato plants need, including Calcium, Mag. I have used it in the past. I was @ Lowes yesterday looking for it , but I couldn't find any.

Another option/alternative is MG's Shake-n-Feed for tomatoes (not all purpose). It also has calcium , Mag and the trace elements needed. This one is in slow release form. That is a good choice for container growing.

Gardeneer
If you have a Kmart by you, try them. That's where I found it and on sale too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr6404 View Post
starlight' I also grow the bulk of my tomatoes in large pots. When I transplant to the Pots and/or ground I place a heaping tablespoon of Tomato tone and Calcium in the hole. The only other additive I use on my Plants is Daconil to limit fungus or other plant diseases. It seems to work for me
What type of Calcium do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Tomatotone is organic; I think that's its big selling point.

If you're not concerned about being organic, Osmocote works great, too. It's pelleted, which makes it time-release, so it won't burn young plants.

I grew a Dwarf Tasmanian Chocolate last summer. It was potted in peat mix, no compost, and only had Osmocote and Miracle Grow as fertilizers. I was a little worried about what the flavor would be like, but it was one of the best-tasting tomatoes I have ever grown, certainly the best ever in a container.
I didn't realize that the ferts had an impact on the taste of tomatoes.

I appreciate the help folks. Summer is rough here on the tomato. Too many days of temps in the hundreds and high humidity. It's hard to get anything to grow let alone produce. I'm hoping that by using the tomato tone that it will help to keep the plants healthier and alive til the temps cool back a bit and than they can start producing early fall crops.
Old April 12, 2015   #12
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Healthy soil certainly has a big impact on flavor, I know that much. As for container growing and which fertilizers make the best flavor - well, I am just getting started in answering that question. I really don't know nearly enough to say at this point.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2015   #13
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Do I treat the peppers the same way as the tomatoes with it? Fish fertilizer I can probably find, but I don't know of any place off hand that sells a kelp based fertilizer. Hummm.
You can get a Fish hydrolysate & Kelp blend, you don't have to buy them separately. If you can't find it locally, you get it online. Here's a few brands, you'll have to shop around to find a deal.

Neptune's Harvest Fish-Seaweed Blend 2-3-1

G&S Plant Food's Fish & Kelp Blend 2-3-1

Drammatic K 2-5-.02

Maxicrop Liquid Seaweed & Fish 3-1-1

Age Old Organics Fish and Seaweed 3-3-2
Old April 12, 2015   #14
creister
Tomatovillian™

I usually mix In a 1/2 cup along with 2 cups worm castings with the transplant hole backfill.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2015   #15
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Ray for the links and help. : )