Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 16, 2015   #1
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Default PVC Pipe for supports

Has anybody tried PVC pipe for support and would it be toxin safe? What diameter would be sturdy enough to make 3 legged teepees with 7' pieces with another as center pole support? I was relocating by bamboo teepees after I re-planted and they started to splinter which means replacement time next season, but I was wondering about the PVC.
Old June 17, 2015   #2
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

PVC pipe will become brittle and break after a couple of years (when it's loaded).

I use 1" PVC conduit (grey) for my posts. It's UV resistant. Some of mine are on their 7th year and aren't showing any signs of deteriorating. You won't need one in the center for support. Claud
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #3
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Pvc pipe is used to supply drinking water inexpensively to the masses. It is safer than most products you can use in your garden. As stated above schedule 40 pvc or the white pvc will get brittle over time. Schedule 80 pvc or the gray stuff is thicker and far more sturdy than schedule 40 pvc. The gray conduit is less expensive than the thicker schedule 80 pvc however it will last a very long time in the sun and stay rigid at the same time. Either one is good for what you are doing.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Pvc pipe is used to supply drinking water inexpensively to the masses. It is safer than most products you can use in your garden. As stated above schedule 40 pvc or the white pvc will get brittle over time. Schedule 80 pvc or the gray stuff is thicker and far more sturdy than schedule 40 pvc. The gray conduit is less expensive than the thicker schedule 80 pvc however it will last a very long time in the sun and stay rigid at the same time. Either one is good for what you are doing.
It's unbelievable how many people I run across that think you cant use PVC for drinking water.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015   #5
Tim76
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
It's unbelievable how many people I run across that think you cant use PVC for drinking water.

Worth
Are you going to tell them that most of their municipality/city water comes from asbestos pipes?

I wonder if that is safe for watering my garden
Tim76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015   #6
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim76 View Post
Are you going to tell them that most of their municipality/city water comes from asbestos pipes?

I wonder if that is safe for watering my garden
In our water system we have several asbestos pipe and yes it is perfectly safe to drink out of. In reality it is a great way to deliver water to customers. The problem is that when it leaks guys like me may have to cut it, sometimes with a gas powered chop saw. Asbestos is safe until you make dust out of it. Then there is the disposal of this stuff and all the red tape municipalities hate to deal with. When i started in the water industry the first company i worked for had pules of brand new asbestos pipe in the back 40 of our consruction yard. They had us go out back break it into pieces with sledge hammers and black trash bag it for regular trash disposal. At the time i was a young kid looking to please my boss to keep my job. I wore a mask and did not know the extent at that time of how bad asbestos was or how to properly dispose of it. Anyways drinking out of it is safe and millions of people do it every day.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015   #7
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
In our water system we have several asbestos pipe and yes it is perfectly safe to drink out of. In reality it is a great way to deliver water to customers. The problem is that when it leaks guys like me may have to cut it, sometimes with a gas powered chop saw. Asbestos is safe until you make dust out of it. Then there is the disposal of this stuff and all the red tape municipalities hate to deal with. When i started in the water industry the first company i worked for had pules of brand new asbestos pipe in the back 40 of our consruction yard. They had us go out back break it into pieces with sledge hammers and black trash bag it for regular trash disposal. At the time i was a young kid looking to please my boss to keep my job. I wore a mask and did not know the extent at that time of how bad asbestos was or how to properly dispose of it. Anyways drinking out of it is safe and millions of people do it every day.
Are you saying pvc is asbestos?
Old June 17, 2015   #8
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

You may want to consider electric metal conduit. It is stronger. I use 1/2 inch for eight ft horizontal spans. Four ft spans are the best I can get with PVC. Vertical loads are a little different but PVC will still bend. The electrical conduit is a little more expensive but on a dollar per strength unit it is cheaper.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #9
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I use 3/4" gray conduit. I make an H shape out of it. I cut 5' pieces, and drive them 1' into the ground on each side of the plant. Then I use white pvc T fittings to glue on top, then make about a 1' cross piece. I put one of these H posts about every ten feet, then drill 5-6 holes in them, 8-10" apart. Then I run synthetic baler twine through the holes. The end posts for the row are metal T posts used for fencing.

I just started this method this year, and it is the best I have ever done for supporting a large number of plants. Each H post costs under $5. The twine is 20,000' for $20.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2015   #10
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I use 3/4" gray conduit. I make an H shape out of it. I cut 5' pieces, and drive them 1' into the ground on each side of the plant. Then I use white pvc T fittings to glue on top, then make about a 1' cross piece. I put one of these H posts about every ten feet, then drill 5-6 holes in them, 8-10" apart. Then I run synthetic baler twine through the holes. The end posts for the row are metal T posts used for fencing.

I just started this method this year, and it is the best I have ever done for supporting a large number of plants. Each H post costs under $5. The twine is 20,000' for $20.
Allow me to bump my post from three weeks ago to confess that those supports of mine collapsed and fell over from the weight of my plants. My 3/4" H posts will still be useful, especially for growing dwarfs, but they need to be anchored with more sturdy posts if they are used for indeterminates that get huge.
Old June 17, 2015   #11
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Modern day pvc water pipe is formulated with UV inhibitors (titanium dioxide) which greatly reduce its sensitivity to UV. Studies show a reduction in impact strength after 2 years exposure, but tensile strength and modulus remain relatively unaffected.

Also, you can paint pvc with exterior latex, it adheres quite well.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #12
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Studies show a reduction in impact strength after 2 years exposure, but tensile strength and modulus remain relatively unaffected.

High tunnels built out of white pvc have a life span of 3-5 years. The gray conduit is stamped "sunlight resistant" and rated for continuous sunlight exposure.
Old June 18, 2015   #13
Tim76
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Studies show a reduction in impact strength after 2 years exposure, but tensile strength and modulus remain relatively unaffected.

High tunnels built out of white pvc have a life span of 3-5 years. The gray conduit is stamped "sunlight resistant" and rated for continuous sunlight exposure.
The lifespan for "grey" pvc under a load in direct would be about2-4 years.
Tim76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015   #14
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim76 View Post
The lifespan for "grey" pvc under a load in direct would be about2-4 years.
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...read.cgi?25420

I'm in Florida and I have installed thousands of feet of PVC on roof tops. I can tell you real quick like, it gets brittle after around 5 years. If your lucky you will get 10 years service out of, roof mounted, PVC conduit in Florida.
Old June 17, 2015   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have cut the modern PVC with PVC cutters that has been out for about a year.
It doesn't cut and cracks sort of as you cut it.
The paint thing is the way to go if you go with water pipe.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote