Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old November 20, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Final Pepper Harvest 2015

They say tomorrow is going to be winter here (A cold front, strong winds, below freezing in the morning.) So today was the day I sort of look foreword to and also wish it didn't have to happen - final harvest day.

I look forward to final harvest day because I like seeing all those peppers in piles on our kitchen bar. Knowing I am going to dry them in an electric oven that fills the house with wonderful drying peppers scent. It's always done on a cold day/night which adds a comfortable feeling. Another positive is seeing the garden cleared of all those plants that we've been looking at all year long. For a while, that clean garden area looks good. I start getting ideas for next year's garden.

Of course, it at least seems like it would be nice to be able to grow all fruits and vegetables all year long. I don't know, you might get burnt-out gardening that much? For me, it is good to read about others gardening in places like Florida while I have some time off in late November and most of December.

Getting back to today. I pulled plants, picked tomatoes, snipped peppers from their uprooted plants, fought off slow moving large mosquitos, took pictures to share with Tomatoville for 4 hours. I really like tabasco peppers - except today. It takes forever cutting all those little peppers off the vines. I think I clipped a billion of them - maybe a few less.....maybe?

The camera doesn't like inside pictures, but here are 3 pictures. That bowl easily holds a basketball. First pic is Datil, second pic is a bunch of different ones, third pic is Tabasco peppers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0013.JPG (62.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0014.JPG (69.5 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0017.JPG (71.3 KB, 68 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2015   #2
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

At last I get to see what a tabasco pepper looks like ! I like a few careful drops of tabasco sauce on a burrito or taco but I've never eaten or bitten into a hot pepper-I'd be scared to !
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2015   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Deborah, you could grow Tabasco peppers as an ornamental plant. They are extremely attractive, and in Cali, they would show their beauty for well over 100 days. That is why they are my Avatar usually. Right now, my av is showing support for Ted - so it is the bald Elmer Fudd. = the chemo that Ted is going through.
Old November 20, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I think I grew 50 Tabasco plants one year the whole neighborhood ate off of them.
This was back in the 90's and we just used the last of our dried Tabasco peppers in oil and bourbon about 4 years ago.
This is a Portuguese thing called Piri Piri. .
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2015   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I've heard of that. Like adding onion/garlic and booze. It seems like there were other things too. I learned it in the 80s - kinda half... learned it in the 80s lol.

Tabasco pepper plants are beautiful. I would suggest growing them just for their beauty - even if you don't like hot peppers.
Old November 21, 2015   #6
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Probably tiny snips of the actual pepper would be about the same as my careful drops-I might try a plant ! I always wonder if those multi-color ornamental ones are edible.
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2015   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Probably tiny snips of the actual pepper would be about the same as my careful drops-I might try a plant ! I always wonder if those multi-color ornamental ones are edible.
Yes they are edible but most are hotter than all get out.

Bolivian Rainbow comes to mind.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote