Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 14, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Riesentraube and Yellow Riesentraube

In a thread, I posted that I would let Carolyn know how our Riesentraube (R) and Yellow Riesentraube (YR) tastes and other info.

I planted them in the same row 3' apart. YR---R---YR---R

The picture shows two totally different looking tomatoes. They don't taste anything alike either. Riesentraube has big tomato taste and more. Yellow Riesentraube tastes acidic.

I asked others to taste the Yellow Riesentraube without telling them the name - and they liked it. Then they tasted the Riesentraube and liked it even more.

Other than tastes, sizes, and colors being different - the plants are the same size (BIG-Indet), and both are heavy producers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0083.JPG (46.1 KB, 149 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #2
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Hmm ... I've only grown the red Riesentraube and the fruit was a tad larger than your yellow. My plant only grew to 5 feet max. I agree the taste was wonderful!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
In a thread, I posted that I would let Carolyn know how our Riesentraube (R) and Yellow Riesentraube (YR) tastes and other info.

I planted them in the same row 3' apart. YR---R---YR---R

The picture shows two totally different looking tomatoes. They don't taste anything alike either. Riesentraube has big tomato taste and more. Yellow Riesentraube tastes acidic.

I asked others to taste the Yellow Riesentraube without telling them the name - and they liked it. Then they tasted the Riesentraube and liked it even more.

Other than tastes, sizes, and colors being different - the plants are the same size (BIG-Indet), and both are heavy producers.
The yellow raisedasnob never was a yellow version if the red raisedasnob.
They both mean bunches of grapes. or some such thing.
The do have little points on the bottom dont they?

Is the flowering the same?

I am so glad you like them I have been preaching about the red one for years.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Yes, they are both Multiflora and fruits are pointy. If I could grow only one, it would be Riesentraube...or Raised-a-snob - lol
Old June 14, 2015   #5
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the pics; I've never seen either - how large are the reds?
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Barb, they are a golf ball sized valentines heart shape.
Old June 14, 2015   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Barb, they are a golf ball sized valentines heart shape.

Salt somethings wrong they shouldn't be even close to that size.

Worth

Here is what mine looked like from TGS.
Old June 15, 2015   #8
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

They look and sound delicious Salt.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #9
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Riesentraube (Gr) = Giant Grape (Eg).

So the heart shaped one are not Riesentraube. BUT they look even better, to me.
Enjoy !

Gardeneer.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Yellow Riesentraube came about when there was a somatic mutation on a normal red fruited plant and just ONE fruit was yellow. The person saved seeds from it and they got spread around.

I've grown both in the same season and they should be the exact same size and shape.

Although it came to us with a german name it appears that it was grown widely in Europe and b'c of the small nipple at the blossom end it was called Goat's T*t in one country, I think it was in Hungary.

I was just checking my 2015 SSE YEarbook to see if anyone got it right and only Bill Minkey did when he said it was Curtis Choplin of SC who got it and first SSE listed it in 1992, and that's when I also got my seeds from Curtis and Curtis got it from the German Seed bank, thus the German name.

When Will Weaver got it he said his reserach showed that the Amish were growing it in the Philly area in the 1850's which makes sense since the seeds were no doubt brought by immigrants to the US from more than one European country.But no seeds for it remained in the US until Curtis got it from Gatersleben in Germany.

Will also said that it was good for making wine, wrote an article for our then International newsletter about tomatoes with a recipe and ended up sending me a few bottles of that wine and it really was delicious, something like a very pale Sherry.

Carolyn
Old June 15, 2015   #11
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I'd drink to that, Carolyn!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #12
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Worth and Gardeneer, I see what you mean. Mine are not the right size or shape. I don't think they are a cross because every fruit on the plant is the same shape and size. I think the seeds I got were mislabeled. Now I want/need to find out what they really are because everyone here really likes them and they are growing well in our garden.

Carolyn, I really like the story of how the YR came to be. I've told it to everyone interested around here (Where I live). However, I am unable to make a comparison between YR and Riesentraube at this time. If you see fit to remove this thread - I fully understand.
Old June 15, 2015   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Salt I think it is an F1 cross.(hybrid)
This is why it has the nipple/teat.
The odds of you getting mislabeled seeds that would have the nipple are way out there.
The other is an F1 cross if I am not mistaken would all look the same.
The seeds you collect from this tomato would start tossing oddballs.
I think you have some raisedasnob seeds in the package I need to get to the post office today and send you.
Me thinks and along with Mexico and Zappedatick.

Worth
Old June 15, 2015   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Worth and Gardeneer, I see what you mean. Mine are not the right size or shape. I don't think they are a cross because every fruit on the plant is the same shape and size. I think the seeds I got were mislabeled. Now I want/need to find out what they really are because everyone here really likes them and they are growing well in our garden.

Carolyn, I really like the story of how the YR came to be. I've told it to everyone interested around here (Where I live). However, I am unable to make a comparison between YR and Riesentraube at this time. If you see fit to remove this thread - I fully understand.
Why in heavens name would I ever delete or lock this thread? It's informational, it's sharing with others, maybe learning a bit about the variety itself, both the red and the yellow, and even about somatic mutations that can affect even ONE fruit on a plant.

Nope, it stays.

Carolyn
Old June 15, 2015   #15
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Worth, I thought of that too. I'm hoping the person who sent in to trade just saw the pointed end and mislabeled the pack.

I looked at several others online and so far, "Mischka" tomato looks closest to what we have growing out in the garden. I was talking to Jan about saving some seeds and trying them in one of our raised beds this fall. I need to start fermenting seeds today. Even if they grow out odd tomatoes - we would at least know.

Carolyn, I saw your reply after I posted this. Thank you