Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 7, 2006   #1
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Default Just found a realy good Idea- very labour saving.

I just found a realy good idea- cant think how I missed it previously, In my book on organic tomato growing there is a way of compost layering in the potting up size pots, that saves lots of work transplanting etc.

I have had the book about three years and only just noticed it, it is a method I shall certainly use next season for myself at least.

Take a number of five inch pots- as many as final number of plants you may need, then fill it to the top with you very best potting on compost, - then with a dessert spoon or other suitable tool- take out a strip of compost right accross the pot- about two inches wide and the same depth,- then in this furrow fill it up with you best seed compost which is purposly low in nutrients for starting seed in- then sow each variety of tomato you require- four or five seeds straight accross the pot about 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep, then germinate as normal.

Once the seeds have germinated and reached the first real leaf stage- then pull out the surplus seedlings and leave to grow on- one seedling.

By the time the seedlings roots have found their way to the stronger potting compost below- they will be well ready for it.

No further treatment or transplanting is required- totaly missing out that part of tomato culture that is so laborious and fiddly, often with accidents and damaged seedlings.

the plants are then left to mature right through to planting out time.

I think its a cracking good idea, and well worth a try.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote