Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 13, 2006   #1
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default Aunt Gertie's Gold and other early observations

Thought this one was reputed to be stingy with the fruits, so I set two plants, just in case.

Well, one plant already has about 15 fruit set on it anywhere from lime to tennis ball sized. The other one has 10-12 fruit on it. That's just the ones I can easily see without dwelving into the foliage too deep or looking closely at recently dried up blooms that didn't drop

And I've been eating early/small fruited types for about a month now. Picked my first fruit -- Kimberly on the 11th of last month and then a Taxi a few days afterwards. Also, the Jaune Flammees, Sungolds, Galinas, Sugar Lump, Green Grape, and Black Cherry have been recently contributing to my modest, yet sufficient harvest. Most days I've had enough to add to a salad and even add to the all-important snack platters for my Sat night Rook games.

However, I have yet to pick any large fruited tomato, though several look like they may be ripening soon. The plants are just loaded, but are taking their time.

This is a new experience for me to have this actual separation between earlies and mid/lates (And I'm really enjoying and appreciating it quite frankly). I'm used to having every thing ripen pretty much at once in a mad rush.

How's everyone else doing in the warm zones?

Hope your fondest tomato wishes are coming true. :wink:
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote