Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 15, 2010   #1
pacmanJohn
Tomatovillian™

Default Dry the anther?

I have never successfully cross pollinated tomatoes before, but it was not for lack of trying last year. I received some good advice from Mr Wagner out here that helped, but I still was not able to get any crosses to take. I can't describe how frustrating it was to try so hard, so many times and I just couldn't get pollen. I tried the electric toothbrush at first, but then found that the tweezers and glass suggested by Mr Wagner seemed better but still got hardly any. I simply would pull part/all of an anther cone off of a flower (anther had already opened, I suppose this is correct time..?..) and would tap it on the glass. I've seen some discussions that you should let the anther cone(s) dry. I'm looking for any assistance in getting pollen from the anther cone.

I just have one measly little cross I'd like to attempt but am tensing up as I type this just thinking about the frustration.

Thank you for any input.