Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 22, 2006   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default The inevitable march of disease

Isn't it incredible how rapidly problems can come on when the weather gets really hot and the plants get big...?!

Tote board so far:

Giant Green Zebra - gone (tomato spotted wilt, replaced with another of the same variety)
Silvery Fir Tree (in a pot with sterile soil, pot bleached) - onset of Fusarium Wilt (blink of an eye - healthy one day, yellowing wilted foliage the next) (I seem to be incapable of growing a healthy specimen of this variety)
one of my Brandywine F3 selections - Tomato Spotted Wilt (again, healthy one day, blasted the next) - gotta pull it, no replacement to be had

Watching carefully - New Big Dwarf (possible onset of Fusarium), Sleepy (one branch with Fusarium).

New Big Dwarf also seems very susceptible to Fusarium here in Raleigh. Both it and Sleepy are in bleached pots with sterile potting mix. Though I could pull NBD if needed, I need to nurse Sleepy along to bear a few fruit to observe and save seeds from.

Who's Next?