Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 25, 2010   #12
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I use 3/4 and 1/2 inch conduit for both horizontal and verticals depending on the plants I am growing. If I am growing tomatoes that make a huge vine with heavy fruit I try to use the 3/4 in. because I had my 1/2 inch bend under the weight of my Marianna's Peace last year. I used 3 horizontals and the top two sagged badly and one eventually just bent from the weight. I've never had a problem with the 1/2 in. as verticals but I guess if you got too much weight near the top and a good wind it could bend. Since the 3/4 costs more I use it on most of my second horizontals (about chest high) and if I have enough I also use it on my top one which is about 7 ft high. The lower bar which I set about waist high usually doesn't carry as much weight.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote