Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 29, 2006   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Responses requested - Fusarium in pot grown tomatoes?

Hello, all - I decided to start this thread after a discussion with Carolyn earlier today. Many of you know that I plant quite a few tomato plants in pots, using fresh metroMix and composted cow manure (Wallace Farms) - with the pots bleached prior to planting.

Well, it is happening again this year, only earlier than usual. Citron Compact, Black Altai, Kimberly, New Big Dwarf, several of Patrina's F1 dwarf crosses, coming down with what appears to be Fusarium wilt (a few or many branches or main stems suddenly going bright yellow - then wilting, even when well watered - plants no longer taking up water, etc.)

The key question - research/information indicates that Fusarium should not be transmittable to pot grown tomatoes unless the soil in the pots is from infected soil. I have a suspicion that it can be spread by insects if they chomp on infected plants, then move on to the potted plants. Who amongst you have experienced Fusarium in your potted plants where there appears to be no possible vector for transmission other than wind borne spores or insects????

Will be looking for this to be an interesting, interactive dialogue with Keith, Carolyn and others chiming in.

Editing with the status of my driveway, potted plants:

Still very healthy, no signs of disease/wilt: Sneezy, Katinka, Marmande, Mexico Midget, Red Robin, Lime Green Salad, Saucy Green, Granny Cantrell.

Touch of wilt: Earl's Faux, Sleazy, Doc, Anna Banana, Sophie's Choice, Sleepy, Witty, Grumpy, Taxi, Kimberly

Significant Wilt: Dopey, Bashful, Black Altai

Nearly Dead - severe wilt: Happy, Silvery Fir Tree, Citron (which looks worst of all - for the second year in a row).