Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 3, 2006   #1
PeteD
Tomatovillian™

Default Please Help - Strange Tops, What's Wrong? (pics)

I am at a loss and fear my plants are doomed. But, I can take the bad news - I just want to know what is going on.

Quick summary of possibly pertinent info:
Raised beds (12 inches deep) in northeastern MA. Very rainy June, but plants are 2 to 2.5 feet tall (planted deep). Planted in 40% compost from local aggy supply, 30% peat, 30% vermiculite. Plants grew great for the first 3 weeks, until a few days to a week ago. Plants grown from seed from TGS and planted outdoors on June 4. No I have very strange leaf stem curl on newer leaves, with some light green tone to new leaves, as well.

The plants are mulched with shredded oak leaves and soaker hoses are present, but I have only watered a couple of times, since the soil has stayed most. I have sprayed daconil a couple of times and used copper sulfate powder once. I also sprayed neem a couple of weeks ago. I also fertilized with 1/2 strength miracle grow 1 to 2 weeks after planting. The only pests that I have observed are flea beetles and a very few aphids. Within the past few days to a week, I noticed the curly leaf stems on a Paul Robeson. I noticed it on most of the other tomatoes over the following couple of days. A few plants look OK still. I have no idea what this is, and I have checked many of the problem solvers. I haven't seen anything that looks like my situation (to me). There is some leaf and stem deformity and apparent stunted growth on the Brandywines, in particular. The leaves appear to still be growing out, however.

See pics below:

Brandywine:

Early Girl:

Black Cherry:

Same Black Cherry

Brandywine:

Thanks in advance for any help with my problem.

Pete
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote