Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 31, 2011   #1
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Default The Chipmunk/Squirrel problem

Hey everyone!
Just wanted to get some pointers from folks who have had these problems before and might have had some success solving them. I have a few questions about methods. I know there have been threads on this and it's probably been talked about a billion times before I had a few specific questions.

I had a great garden last year and wanted to carry that luck over to this year. I did however lose some maters and other veggies to critters.

I hate being surprised by bite marks on the prettiest of tomatoes.

If they would just eat the one they first bite into, I wouldn't be mad. I don't like the taste test they do on each variety.

My neighbor has had some chipmunk holes in her frontyard and she usually relocates them to a neighborhood park a mile or so away. I think that helps a bit for a while.
The squirrels have really picked up because the trees in the neighborhood are finally large enough to support a large population of them. Plus, my neighbor accross the streets tells us how she feeds the babies and she is always out waving brooms at the hawks. Goofy!

I think a lot of what I have done has prevented more loss. I've hung CD's all over the place to reflect light.
Pinwheels to make noise and reflect light.
I have an fake owl in the garden.
I've sprayed mint oils that are supposed to drive away pests. They make the garden smell pretty but don't last long and I have seen squirrels go right through the garden after I spray.
I sprinkle powdered fox urine around the perimeter of the garden area.
Done marigolds.....didn't do as many last year but plan to plant many more this year.

More plants are going to be planted within my fenced backyard so I am hoping the presence of my three dogs helps. They are not outdoor dogs though and go in and out throughout the day.

Anyone try fake snakes?
Anyone try the motion sensored owl? I read a ton of mixed reviews online. Mine is just a standard fake owl and is getting pretty weathered.

What kind of luck have you had?
I also grow grapes and want to don't want to lose my harvest on those either. Two years ago, my grapes were devasted within a few days.

Any pointers would be appreciated. I cannot use artillery because I am in a sub division within town limits so I cannot pull out a bazooka and go bezerk. Wife wouldn't be too happy either.

Thanks much!
Brian
BigBrownDogHouse is offline   Reply With Quote