Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 4, 2011   #1
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Default New World Seeds & Tubers newworldcrops.com

I asked Mischka if I could make an announcement here on TomatoVille.

Quote:
Hi Tom,

You are welcome to promote your new business venture any way you like here, and as often as you'd like, too.
I wish you much success. You have earned it.
Mischka
I am launching a new website featuring many of my potatoes and tomatoes. As some of you already know, I have been breeding these critters for many years and have not had a catalog since my Tater Mater Seeds Catalog of 1983 through 1987. That is the place I first introduced tomatoes such as Green Zebra and many others.

I have been going crazy...literally...trying to justify hanging onto tens of thousands of envelopes of all kinds of seeds; mostly TPS (true potato seed) tomato breeding lines, and a number of other crops. A lifetime of breeding new clones was a fun and rather aimless venture into diversity. What to do with this diversity was a roller coaster ride for me. Without going into detail, I am convinced that open source sustainability, food independence, and building a community of seed savers and breeders became more important to me than anything else.

We need to oppose the current dynamics that are taking control of our seed supply and security away from us; namely the Monsanto types, the government regulators, Plant Variety Protection (PVP), the big seed companies, the Land Grant Colleges, and selfish people in general.

My hero has been Luther Burbank. He was born in Lancaster, Massachusetts. I was born in Lancaster, Kansas nearly one hundred years later. If I am going to ever going to be the emulator and develop more than 800 strains and varieties of plants over Burbank's 55-year career, I had better get busy and release that many or more with an online catalog.

The link for the New World Seeds & Tubers is
www.Newworldcrops.com

It is not complete but is it working. I have several hundred lines of tomatoes and potatoes yet to list.

Thanks again Mischka, for allowing me to post this topic.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote