Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 11, 2006   #1
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

Default Another Sick Tomato - Clues?

http://pictures.aol.com/ap/myAlbums....152670635450.1

I hope that you can see this picture. (If not, I can email it individually). I posted my query a few days ago on another thread in Tomatoville, asking if someone could help identify the problem my Black Cherry is having from a description, but no one has responded yet. The picture tells the story. Every morning I see another branch or two succumbing. Any clue as to what this is?

I have two Black Cherry plants growing in a self-watering planter (both affected) and until a few days ago it was doing marvelously, already 4 1/2 feet tall and sporting several clusters of tomatoes. I had the same wilt last year affected only this same variety, but late in the season after big production - both the plants in the container as well as one in the ground experienced this problem. None of the other varieties are experiencing this problem. I have been using both Serenade and Messenger as per the label directions and had also sprayed it with a foliar feed (MultiBloom, a fish formulation). The fruit are not affected by whatever this is. I wondered if it is verticillium.

It starts with the end-leaf on the branch turning brown at the end (does not turn yellow) and creeps up the sides of the leaf, which dries and curls, and makes it way to other leaves on the stem. In most instances the branch starts to separate from the stem, indicating to me that it is a circulatory problem. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Robbin
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote