Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 23, 2011   #1
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Default Micro Brew (MycoGrow / biotamax)

I used some Mycrogrow and some biota Max as recommended by Ray and Ami on my seedlings. Then I had a little left at the bottom of the gallon milk jug and my mind went to work. I thought Hmmm maybe I can get this stuff to multiply and see what happens.

So I added some fish fertilizer (to feed them with) , fulvic acid (contains trace minerals {humic acid or some compost would probably work as well})

Just a note you could also use molasses too.

OK, so added my recipe above into the gallon container then toped it off with some tap water that I had left out over night (this removes chlorine)

Then I just used a air pump and air stone like they use in aquariums.

Then I waited, got bored and went to bed. When I woke up there was this foamy microbe goodness oozing out the top of the gallon jug.

The foaming tells you that the bacteria and fungus are having a party and are reproducing.

Make note to use a container with extra space for the foam. Or just do not fill it as much.

Now after about 24 hours after you have seen the foam, you will get an added bonus in the mix called:

Protozoa - are pretty cool. See the bacteria and fungus reproduce like crazy in the highly oxygenated water and the protozoa eat them.

Ok, I know the ideal is to grow the microbes that benefit your plants so why is the protozoa eating them a good thing. The microbes are over populated at this point anyways and they are fat and happy little fertilizer sacks ready for harvest. So basically that is the protozoa's role they eat them and poop out an amazing fertilizer.

They also keep things in check in your soil as well as they do not just target the good bacteria they will also eat the bad ones too, So back to the brew

Ok, so now that you got your microbe and protozoa factory going just add some to your waterings, and keep some as a starter, adding the brew mix (fish fertilizer and occasionally the humic or fulvic acid) and you now have a ready source of good stuff for your plants.

I really do not think you can get more organic than that.