Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 3, 2011   #1
cleo88
Tomatovillian™

Default Squirrels? Can't they leave me some??

I think I have a squirrel with very good taste sampling in my tomato garden.

It's only the ripening tomatoes. So far he's eaten a Granny Cantrell, a Danko and this morning I discovered a Pink Sweet still on the vine with the pink half eaten and the green half untouched. I didn't even see that it had started to blush before I discovered it's carcass.

Here are my questions:

So, this sounds like squirrels, right? We also have tons of chipmunks but the amount eaten seems way too big for a chipmunk's stomach.

I put a toulle bag that I use for bagging blossoms around a low hanging Danko that is starting to ripen - does anyone think that will deter a squirrel?

Will this continue with the high hanging fruit? So far the fruit that have been eaten are all right near the ground.

Should I just pick fruit when they start to blush? I have done that in previous years, but this year I was trying to see if the taste would be better if I left it on the vine longer. I know there are lots of posts here saying it doesn't matter, but I'm not entirely convinced...
cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote