Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 21, 2011   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default Finalized My 2012 Tomato List, and Started Seeds Today

Well, on the eve of the Winter Solstice, what better day to start seeds for the 2012 garden.

As we were hit pretty hard with Alternaria and other fungal problems last Season, I am going by the "80 / 20 rule" for 2012 and grow 80% Heirlooms while planting 20% Hybrids with some degree of disease tolerance. Also, as our Season lasts well into December, I am going to do the plantings in 2 stages. The first set of 75% (below in bold) were started today, with the goal of planting them out in late March. The second set of about 25% will be started in 3 months, with the goal of planting them out in late June.

This should give me a more even production rate throughout the Summer and Fall timeframes:

Applause Hybrid (VFFA) 66
Barlow Jap
Better Boy Hybrid (VFNASt) 75
Big Beef Hybrid (VFFNTASt) 73
Brandywine from Croatia
Caitydid (Dwarf Project)
Champion 2 Hybrid (VFFNTA) 65
Dona
Gary’O Sena
Goose Creek
Iditarod Red (Dwarf Project)
Indian Stripe
JD Special C-Tex
Jet Star
Jetsetter Hybrid (VFFNASt) 64
MarNar F3 (1 RL, 1PL)
Momotaro Hybrid (VFNSt) 70
Moskovich
Odoriko Hybrid (VFNSt) 75
Parks Whopper Hybrid (VFFNT) 65
Perth Pride (Dwarf Project)
Red Boar (WBF)
RAF Spanish (from Clara)
Rosella Purple (Dwarf Project)
Solar Flare (WBF)
Supersonic Hybrid (VFFN) 79
TastyWine (Dwarf Project)
Yukon Quest (Dwarf Project)

V - Verticillium Wilt
F - Fusarium Wilt (FF - Races 1 & 2)
N - Nematodes
T - Tobacco Mosaic Virus
A - Alternaria Stem Canker

St - Stemphylium Gray Leaf Spot

I am using Rapid-Rooter grow plugs which are made from compressed tree bark, and are treated with Mycos to encourage seedling development:

The plugs simply drop into a 55 unit styrofoam holder which floats on a surface of water:

I have the outer container sitting on a Hydro-Farm heat mat which elevates the temperature of the system about 20 degrees above the ambient air temperature:

Come February 21, I will then move the seedlings outside in to a pair of IncuTainers for them to further develop and harden off:

(Photo from last Season)

So, by the end of March the seedlings should have developed to a height of 10 to 12 inches, when they will be transplanted to their permanent homes for the 2012 Summer season.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote