Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 1, 2013   #1
va.0488
Tomatovillian™

Default Varieties,seed starting mix and time

After a few weeks of reading about tomato varieties, I came up with a list for trial, and I allmost made my mind about witch one to grow most, but because what `farmers` around here choose, I also have a bit of doubt. It`s also the fact that most of the hybrids I read about can`t be found here (except a few, including big beef) ,and vice versa, the ones that are being sold here I can't find info about them.

First let me tell you about the weather here:
-The average last frost date is 22 april; earliest 23 march, latest 22 may.
-The average first frost date is 14 oct; earliest 14 sept, latest 19 nov.
-Summer: very hot, exceeding 100 deg F; the nights are also warm;
-Spring and autumn: warm during the day, quite cold in the nights.
-In the last years, few rains (last year allmost none), but in the past we had alot of rains.

Farmers around here choose varieties like Belle F1, Lady Rosa F1 (both have a LSL gene for longer storage), Shirley F1, Cristal F1, Tamaris F1, Marissa F1, Francesca F1, and others.

What I thought:

Main crop:
Big Beef
Celebrity (not many though, the main target will be to have tomatoes for the whole season)

Testing (I`m also looking for an outside variety):
Early Girl
CELEBRITY
Bella Rosa
BUSH EARLY GIRL
SunGOLD
Jetsetter
Jet Star
Opalka
Black Cherry
JULIET
Rutgers
Gardener's Delight
Carbon
Tamina
Alicante
Principe Borghese
Legend
Glacier
Super Marmande
Stupice

Final place for them will be a greenhouse; for a planting scheme of 27.6" x 15.7", It will be 2000 seedlings(the greenhouse is ~46ft x 131ft).

Q1: is this a good planting scheme? Some around here say 31.5" x 23.6" is a must . I`ll `train` them on wire.

Q2: Is big beef the best option? My primary goal is to get the investment back (and fast, because I`ve already lost 1 year of production(took longer than expected to build the gosh darnoodley things), so not many left till I have to buy new polythene covers). I`ll apreciate any suggestions(even for next year), but because it`s too late to order seeds from abroad, do you know any of the ones I mentioned earlier(the ones most used here)?

Q3: What to choose for planting outside?

Q4: I want to start seeds on 11 feb ( inspired by the `moon planting` .. ), and transplant in the greenhouse before the middle of april. (ideally for me would be begining of apr; some say it should be done at the end of march ...(after 25th) (being in the greenhouse, and temps usually not going bellow 35-37F outside after mid-march). What do you think?

I want to lay black polythene mulch a couple of weeks before transplanting outside (directly into the ground, mind you), and when the temperatures get high, mulch with wheat straws.

Q5: Is it late, to incorporate composted (sheep and cow) manure? how much of it should I spread(ofcourse,after tilth the soil.)?

Q6: even I knew It was late, I planted tomatoes last year; and ... to my shame, they are still there. What should I use to treat the soil?

I can`t get hold of any `fancy` seed starting mix, the only ones I can buy are universal; description says : 70% blond peat(0-5 millimeters) (I just searched it and somewhere says "Once it has dried, it is hard to rehydrate." ) and 30% Black peat; pH:5.5-6.5; Aqua Flow.

Last year we bought some type of peat, and after it dried, the water would run off from the surface/or it wouldn`t want to go in.

Q7:I`ve asked around, and some say you shouldn`t let it dry (witch is a bad thing ... too much water there), and some say to mix it like this: 25% of the stuff, 25% composted manure, 25% black dirt (from the woods), and 10% sand. Back in the day, the seeding mix was like this, but without the peat; this mix is still used by some (because ... it`s cheap).I don`t know where to find peat moss, perlite, garden lime, or pine barks ... so .. any thoughts on how should I proceed?

That`s it for now ... Thank you for reading!

Some pictures:
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/...ps039df71e.jpg

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0adf462a.jpg

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/...psee349587.jpg

The bigger one will `host` tomatoes; a smaller one with peppers, and the other with beans, and after that possibly, cucumbers.
va.0488 is offline   Reply With Quote