Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 24, 2014   #11
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Yes, the trip was wonderful, tho it could have been twice as long.

While I've wanted to take a cruise, DH has always resisted. And with all the news this last year of cruise ships coming home because of Noro-virus, I think it might be good to wait til they get their acts together on all that.

Actually my cart is rather basic. No inventory at all, but I usually have plenty of most seed varieties. I can print out packing slips easily. And the cart auto sends the customer an order receipt. Sending the "in the mail" email isn't so easy, but not all that difficult. I have a program I like for making labels with varieties and info in a database so I can easily print those. But I just hand print the mailing info on the envelopes.

The postage is a bit of a PITA. I take everything to the post office a couple of times / week. That's because a few years ago when the USPS upped rates, they also changed how they classify bubble envelopes and anything sent with a customs form. The bubble packs I use are no longer classed as a "letter", even tho they are only 6x10, but as a "package".

So now I use paper catalog envelopes or invitation envelopes, with cardstock and paper toweling on smaller orders, since THOSE will still ship as a letter. I do that not for the cheaper postage, but to keep the things in the "letter" box rather than in the "parcel" box. That's because the PO has been doing random "scans" of packages looking for illegal Rx drugs. But those scans CAN kill the seeds or reduce germination a lot. They aren't as bad as after 9/11, but they do hurt the seeds.

The international thing really sucks now. Basically everything I've sent with a customs form on it, no matter how small, gets charged as a "parcel". A 6x10 plastic bubble envelope, weighing less than 2 oz, to Canada was over $6. So if I can make an international order look like a card or letter and not use the customs form, I now do.

For me, the hardest part has been just getting myself motivated to get to work some days. But I'm working on that too.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote