Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 2, 2014   #1
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Default Getting a handle on Viability

As sure as the Earth is a fertile ball of dirt covered rock, revolving around a life giving heat source, I know, that everyone that has ever started their own plants from seed has, at one time or another, while going through their seed, asked themselves this inevitable question; "Are these still good?"

Now, after 40 years (more or less) of gardening, I still can't answer that question. Not without doing a viability test.

I have seen viability charts all over the 'net, but they vary, depending upon which "expert opinion" you wish to put stock in and which particular plant you may be looking to grow. As an example: take spinach; Fedco says 2 to3 years, Johnny's 1 year, Vermont Ext. 3 years, and the Iowa Ext. says they stay viable for 5 years. No wonder I can't bring myself to throw away "old" seed.

To add more confusion to that, there is also the storage factor. How the seeds are stored can actually extend (or cut short) that spark of life within the seed that we call viability. Humidity and temperature are the two most important determining factors in the storage of seeds. The seeds, if stored in a low temperature and humidity environment (with the least fluctuations), will maintain their viability best. Beyond that, at least for me, there be dragons.

Sometimes, when that spark of life whether intentionally or unintentionally has been preserved over an extended period of time (but is very weak, like a very sick and dyeing bird) it can be nursed back to health to germinate and grow (fly again) with the right care and handling. And some other times what's dead is dead. A fragile thing.

If I knew all there was to know about viability, I wouldn't have all these piles of seeds. If you know something that I don't, please, I could use the room in my refrigerator.

Charlie
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
germination , seed saving , seed starting , seed storage , viability