Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 15, 2014   #1
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

Default Supporting plants in containers

The last couple of years I had used string and clips for supporting my tomatoes and peppers in containers but even though it worked well I thought it could be improved.

I had been working on some triangle cages for my raised bed made out of cattle panel and they are a success.

While doing those I came up with a solution for containers using cattle panel that is pretty easy and extremely sturdy.

Here are some photos. I also put one in of my triangle cages.

The container supports are just two halves of a 16ft x50inch cattle panel. I used halves that did not have part of a spike on them. I used those for the triangle cages.

As you can see I drove 4-40 inch pieces of 3/4 inch EMT into the ground, slipped the sections over them in a way that locks them in, and ty wrapped them together at the top. The total height is about 6 and a half feet from the top of the container up. I was surprised just how strong this setup is and it can be taken down at the end of the season if needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000320.JPG (208.1 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg P1000321.JPG (319.3 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg P1000322.JPG (354.5 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg P1000323.JPG (187.6 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg P1000324.JPG (332.5 KB, 202 views)

Last edited by Jaysan; May 15, 2014 at 12:49 AM.
Jaysan is offline   Reply With Quote