Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 1, 2014   #1
lexusnexus
Tomatovillian™

Default A Few Questions

My beautiful partner, Maria, is going to be moving into her new house the first of July. After she moves in she wants me to grow some tomatoes in containers. Should I buy some tomato plants now and transplant them into 10-15 gallon containers? Or do they sell tomatoes in containers at that time of year (DC area)? Although I have grown tomatoes in the past they have always been grown in an in-ground garden. I have zero experience with container gardening. I've been reading and picked up some tips. Since I will be starting them so late I don't really know what to do. My fear of transplanting plants now into that size pot is that the pot is going to weigh so much I won't be able to move them to her new place. Any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Since she has turned over her new backyard to me for my garden I can't turn down her request.

I also look at this challenge as an opportunity to learn more.

Dan