Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 22, 2014   #1
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Default frustration

So with all the help from everyone, this year for the first time my peppers germinated, grew strong and tall and healthy. When they were transplanted into the garden they actually looked like pepper plants rather than little tiny green somethings.

Fourteen plants of six different varieties all nicely caged, lots of new growth and flowers and the beginnings of small pepperlets.

The garden is surrounded by a picket fence with chicken wire around the bottom to keep out rabbits. The top by an eight foot deer fence. The garden is perched on top of a hill overlooking a few acres of trees, grasses and brush. The "hollow" is home to all sorts of wildlife which is OK as long as it stays out of the garden. The rabbit population is kept in check by a pair of bobcats that prowl around every so often.

Well, either they are filled up on something else or have not been doing their job because some daggone rabbit made a meal of eleven of the fourteen peppers. The gun is out and open season has been declared on rabbits whether they are the culprits or not.

I found the possible entry point and it is plugged and another chicken wire fence has been put up around the peppers. Green beans, lettuce, kale and several other juicy green plants were not bothered.....just my first good pepper crop in years. Aaaughhh!