Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 2, 2014   #1
Dragunov79
Tomatovillian™

Default Root Knot Nematodes

Hello all, I have a question about Root Knot Nematodes. My garden was going good for about three years straight and then this past year all my tomatoes were doing very poorly. Their growth was stunted and they started wilting and did not produce. I was confused until I pulled one and saw the roots. Yep, Root Knot. UGH!! We have very sandy soil down here and I hear from everyone that Nematodes are really bad down here in South Florida. I was just wondering if anyone has any techniques they have used with success to control Nematodes. I don’t really have the funds to buy as many pots and supply’s that I would need to go the container gardening route. I’ve heard that a lot of compost and “green manure” will help, but only slightly. Has anyone tried any kind of control that has actually worked? Anything?
Also If anyone knows any good tomato varieties that are “resistant” to nematodes and where to get the seeds. I have only grown heirloom tomatoes so far and I’ve heard that these are the most susceptible to these critters. I don't like that I may be limited to only the few hybrid nematode resistant plants out there.
Dragunov79 is offline   Reply With Quote