Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 14, 2015   #1
RomanX
Tomatovillian™

Default Are my seedlings alright?

This is the first time I've started from seed; I must have done everything right, 'cause ALOT came up!!

Unfortunately, I don't know what a healthy tomato seedling looks like! The main site I used to learn how-to (before I found THIS one) tells me that purple seedlings are suffering a Mg deficiency and to mist with a weak Epsom Salt (in water).

I have two batches of seedlings, almost 2 weeks apart. My oldest seedlings (sown 2-28 and most sprouted 6 d later) most have their first set of true leaves. . . their foliage is solid green, but they have dark purple/maroon stout hairy stems and I just noticed the underside of their leaves are purple, too. The youngest batch (sown 3-8 and most sprouted 6 d later) most are still unfurling their seed leaves, but their almost all have pencil-lead thin stalks that are a smooth, translucent purple..... . very few (4 of 5 for one variety) have green thin, smooth stalks. (I tried to attach photos of each batch, but was told I must manually re-size them to be smaller. . . which I do not know how to do! )

Are my seedlings healthy??

How MUCH is a weak Epsom Salt solution? 1 tsp per 1 gallon of water?? Less?? More??
RomanX is offline   Reply With Quote