Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 19, 2015   #1
dan0000
Tomatovillian™

Default Questions: Optimizing Earthtainer Grow Media

Hello All,

I've used Raybo's Earthtainers for two seasons. I love them! I am growing heirloom tomatoes. My first year results were superior to my second year. Right or wrong, I have decided to "start over" with new grow media this year.

I'm going to use the 3-2-1 suggestion in Raybo's instructions with some modifications. Here is what I am thinking for now:

* Pro-Mix HP as that's what's available in my area (3 parts)
* Microbark (2 parts)
* Perlite (1/2 parts, as the Pro-Mix HP already contains perlite)
* Actinovate (per instructions)
* Soil probiotic (per instructions)

Now my questions:

1. The Pro-Mix already contains lime. I assume I should still add per Raybo's instructions but my concern is that the mix is already pH optimized. Will adding more lime per the instructions move the pH out of an optimal range?

2. The Pro-Mix already contains mycorrhizae. Should I add more?

3. What about bat guano? I was thinking about a half cup at the base of the hole before popping the plant in.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any comments or suggestions for better optimizing my grow media. I'm excited for the season!

Dan
dan0000 is offline   Reply With Quote