Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 24, 2015   #1
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Default Plant Selection

I read somewhere that any variety of Tomato or anything for that matter could be improved by 10% or more with simple plant selection.After all everyone saves seeds from their best plants.I believe that a lot of these so called strains are just older varieties improved through simple plant selection maybe over many many years.I remember reading an article about the Vinson Watts tomato, and I think that guy worked on improving that tomato for 50 years(doing this from memory so I may be a little off).I hate to use an example but I will anyway.Say some farmer improves a certain tomato variety over 20 or 30 years through simple plant selection, sells it to a nursery, a gardener goes in and buys it and it performs better than what they are used to seeing from that variety. Then you have a new strain, although it is really just the same tomato improved through simple plant selection.Any opinions on this

Last edited by seaeagle; June 24, 2015 at 02:34 PM.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote