Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 7, 2015   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default Almost too many maters.

My wife and I put up what will probably be the last tomatoes we will process this summer unless I can find more room in our small freezer. Despite the fact that I haven't picked many really gigantic tomatoes this year meaning the ones over 2 lbs I have had the largest average fruit size since I started growing tomatoes 40 years ago. It has been somewhat of a surprise since I got such a late start setting my first tomato plants out a month behind my usual set out date. I expected smaller fruit due to the heat of the later planting dates and have been amazed at the fruit size this year. I have not picked many tomatoes less than 10 oz so far this season and when I go out an pick each day I have been surprised by how few fruit it has taken to fill a bucket up.

It sure has been easier processing because it doesn't take that many tomatoes to fill up the large sauce pot we use and the freezer has filled up faster than ever. I have been giving away more tomatoes this year by weight than ever before also. I have to go to one of my doctors for an appointment this afternoon so they are in for a surprisingly large donation of tomatoes and I think I'll stop by my dentist's office on the way and unload some more.

I'm frequently posting about one problem or another so I thought I would let ya'll know it isn't all thorns and briars in my patch all the time. If all my plants died tomorrow it wouldn't be a terrible disaster because this has been an outstandingly good year with very few really bad problems. I wish every season would be so good to all us tomato addicts.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote