Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 14, 2015   #1
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Default Varieties good for small spaces

I'm thinking ahead to next year, trying to figure out what I want to grow. The Tycoon plant (my first tomato) has been good this year, aside from all of the user error-induced issues that come with first time growing! I think I'll likely give it another shot next year, but I'd like to try at least one more tomato plant as well. My apartment patio is very small (about 5'x10' with storage on one end and the door to the apartment smack dab in the middle of the back wall of the patio), so I have to be pretty particular in what I grow out there. Another factor to consider is that we are next to open fields and agricultural lots, which means we get a lot of pests (we are also on the first floor, which means easier access for everyone - welcome or not). Are there any varieties y'all would recommend for container growth in a small space?

Edited to add: I should specify that I'm looking for full size fruit that would be good sliced or in sauce, that also has little issue setting fruit in the Texas heat (one of the reasons Tycoon is so appealing and was highly recommended by my local nursery, not to mention it's resistance to disease). I'm not picky about hybrid vs. heirloom, but I guess I should stick with determinate varieties since I don't think I've got room for some of the indeterminates I've seen on here (8+ feet tall? no way that's gonna fit on my patio).

Last edited by TexasTycoon; July 14, 2015 at 04:04 PM. Reason: additional info
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote