Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 29, 2015   #1
Salaam
Tomatovillian™

Default Another help with soilbuilding thread...

Hello all,

I had my front yard soil tested last year - results were good - more than adequate NPK and fairly balanced pH. So I decided to go ahead and make some (three) garden beds there this spring.

I sodcut the sod and put on some garden soil composed of 1/3 black earth, 1/3 topsoil, and 1/3 mushroom compost. I added about an inch of shredded pine bark mulch, then I planted some perennials, cabbage, collards, some peppers and tomatoes.

All are not doing as well as they should. The cabbage and collards are okay, the perennials not as good, and the peppers and tomatoes quite poor. There's a huge difference with my backyard.

I don't know what's wrong, but I'm thinking of amending the beds with a couple of bags each of composted sheep or cow manure in the fall. Maybe some other compost, too. And then tilling a bit. I didn't till the first time. Is this a good plan? What to do with the shredded pine bark mulch? Should I just till that in, too?

Thanks!
Salaam is offline   Reply With Quote