Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 11, 2015   #1
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

Default Fertilizer mix to encourage fruit set

Hi all;

I tried a few searches on here before writing this and don't think I found what I am looking for so I thought I would ask.

I started my tomatoes late this year and to make matters (maters?) a little worse we have a shade problem so I am not getting the full 8 hours of direct. That said most plants have flowers and some fruit started so things will be ok. Its those other, more stubborn plants that haven't started to produce many flowers. I thought I would run down to the store and get some bloom starting fertilizer but the mix wasn't what I expected. It was 15-30-15 which is the same as the ancient bucket of miracle grow in the back of the shed. I thought the last number was the one that pushed the flowering but apparently I may be mistaken. I have a bucket of some other "tomato food' that is 15-15-30. Would it work better? I started them with a CIL product specifically for tomatoes. I think it was a 12-12-24 and was slow release. After about 6 weeks I started adding a little fish emulsion once a week.

Which of these products would you recommend to get the flowering happening? If someone knows of a thread where these nitrogen-potassium-phosphorous and their effects are explained I would love to know so please post.

Hey Craig, maybe you and the TTF guy could get together and write a book about fertilizers for tomatoes. What, where and when! Now that would be a useful book!

Pete

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blooming , fertilizer , flowering