Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 12, 2015   #16
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Despite nearly two months with days near 100 and very high humidity my plants are still setting fruit. I use TTF every week to ten days. It keeps the plants healthy and setting despite more than unfavorable conditions. It should be cooling down a bit soon with the nights getting into the low 70s and maybe even lower and days in the low 90s and that should really boost fruit set. At least on the ones the spider mites didn't kill.

Some of my newer plants that were set out in May and mid June are setting really good while others are only setting moderately. I think variety makes a huge difference in the heat of summer. Varieties like Indian Stripe, Spudakee and Pruden's Purple are setting heavier than most other varieties right now but even the shy producers like Donskoi and Brandywines are setting some fruit. The biggest problem I have besides dealing with spider mites is getting out and pruning and tying up plants in this oppressive heat.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blooming , fertilizer , flowering