Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 19, 2015   #1
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Default Self water containers with reservoir..Where did I go wrong...?

So i guess it's much easier to see what I have done from the images than me explaining everything in detail but my idea was to have a reservoir(the black container) water the other four white containers. I clearly hadn't thought this one through due me rushing all over the place and trying to get this done asap but of course thats when mistakes happen.

PicsArt_09-19-04.47.40.jpg

PicsArt_09-19-04.48.52.jpg

So when I fill the reservoir it just levels out the water in all the other containers(and of course it would do this, don't know how I thought any other way ).

In any case how do I go about fixing it...?

Each container is basically two buckets on top of each other (top one with holes and a large center hole with a net pot to act as a wick)and the bottom white container has a whole on the side with 20mm PVC pipe and a rubber grommet connected to all the other containers. There is a small overflow hole drilled into each white container as well so that if the water level gets too high it will simply drain out.

Any advice is appreciated.
Zenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
container , reservoir , self watering , tomatoes