Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 27, 2015   #1
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Default Greenhouse Opportunity

I was walking down my street a few days ago past a high school that has just undergone major construction additions, and much to my surprise there was a big greenhouse along side the new multi-million dollar building (don't ask me who's paying for that!).

I called the school to find out about the greenhouse and I was put in touch with a biology teacher who is "running" the greenhouse. It turns out that this greenhouse is about 15' x 30' and has all the bells and whistles...huge exhaust fans, computerized climate control, etc.

The greenhouse is empty and there are no formal plans to do anything with it. The teacher said that he was told the greenhouse cost about $70,000.

To shorten the story, I happen to have 5 Napa Giant seedlings so I offered to come over and show his garden club how to separate tomato seedlings out of a 2" growing pot and transplant them into their own containers. The teacher didn't know that tomatoes were self-pollinators. He agreed that it would be good to get the greenhouse going, but he didn't know much about horticulture from what I discerned. I'm no expert but why the heck can't a high tech greenhouse grow stuff through the winter. He has the temp set at 80 for high and 60 for low so I'm going to press this opportunity as far as I can for utilizing the greenhouse for the students and try and let it earn its existence.

My plan is to get these 5 tomato plants going, and depending on what kind of commitment the garden club will make I will press on with other crops.

Any suggestions?

Charley
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote