Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 8, 2016   #1
ChrisPlano
Tomatovillian™

Default rats! eating my Tomato Tone

We have a savvy rat in our garden. Usually the rat terrier and his well-trained misc terrier brothers and sisters quickly dispense of rats, but this one is smart and I think he doesn't actually live in our back yard. He just runs along the top of the fence and drops in for a visit.

He is digging around the tomatoes and digging up Tomato Tone to eat it. If I apply a side dressing, that's the area that is dug up. I have mulch so the digging is obvious.

So... can I mix in cayenne pepper and pepper flakes with no ill effect on the tomatoes or their flavor? Can I train Mr. Big Rat that my garden is to be avoided? Or do I have to set a trap> I really don't want to do that. Call me nuts, but I'm mostly okay with the rat terrier doing his thing and quickly disposing of a rat. I've seen it. It's a highly professional and instantaneous death. He is thrilled to fulfill his mission in life. But I can't quite bring myself to set a trap and kill the critter myself. I'd rather just train him away, especially since he may start actually eating tomatoes when they start tomatoing and other things (I have some fava beans that are starting to bean).

Am I nuts? And will the hot pepper be okay to try? Other tips? These tomato plants will be huge (Paul Robesons - 2nd year) so I don't want to build a cage. He'd just dig under anyway.

Thanks
ChrisPlano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cayenne pepper , rats , tomato tone